Wednesday, December 3, 2008

250 6/6/1950 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Tuesday, June 06, 1950
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
I feel real good today even though I have a cold. I cleaned the house real good this morning and then had about an hour's nap. Mary and Karen are playing down in the basement right now and I think when Jimmy comes from school at 3:30 we'll take a thermos of lemonade and go sit down at the beach for a while. We've finally had two days of summer weather. It is 90 out now but I think every one had needed some hot weather. The insects are just terrible outside in the evening. That is one thing that Elmer has against Minnesota. Last night after supper the kids were out in the backyard playing ball and they were kept so busy swatting mosquitoes and gnats that they had to quit and come in.
Jimmy's room had their school picnic yesterday at Como Park and Jim had a wonderful time. He had 50¢ to spend but doesn't care to ride on the things so he bought a bottle of pop and that fluffy stuff and gave the rest of his money away to different kids who had lost theirs or had run out of it. Mary has her picnic Thursday at Lake Harriet but the mothers have to go along if their child goes.
I have taken my films to the drugstore to be developed and will send you a copy when I get them. I'm anxious to get pictures of our front lawn as it looks just wonderful.
Friday afternoon
Here I've gone and let the week slide by without finishing your letter. Yesterday Mary went to Lake Harriet for her school picnic. I took five kindergarten girls in the neighborhood along with me.
The gas line is going through here now and in order to have it brought right up to the house we have to buy one appliance to connect to in order to have the service free of charge. Otherwise it costs about 200 dollars to have the gas brought in. We are going to get a new gas cooking stove. My old electric one runs my bill way up. Just before you came two burners burned out and had to be replaced and my oven isn't working now. A new gas stove is cheaper than an electric one in price and also to use.
I had a letter from Stella today. You all keep so busy all the time. We haven't been doing a thing. I feel just fine but can't bear to think of being up late at night or doing anything I don't have to. I'll get back in the swing of things later on.
I hope you're all fine and I'll write more soon.
Elmer is in Red Wing today to look over a building they are going to remodel. He took the train as the brakes on our car aren't good. More later folks.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading