Thursday, December 4, 2008

687 5/18/1951 Stella Benson to Sadie Erwin

Stella Benson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Friday, May 18, 1951
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Mother and Pop,
I just sent the telegram. It’s now just five in the morning.
Helen and Elmer came home from the hospital about six last night. I had dinner all ready and then Helen went right to bed. She was just exhausted from loss of sleep. I wanted to go sit with the baby last night, but had no car or money. I’m sure Elmer would have given me money but he really felt as if the baby was being well taken care of and that we needed our rest. I went to bed about 8:30 and read for him until about ten and then went to sleep.
The hospital called about 12:30. Elmer went right down. He sat and held the baby’s hand. He said the baby’s eyes were just glossy and didn’t seem to see him. Also blood started coming from the stomach up the tube. About half an hour before he died the baby just closed his eyes as if he was just worn out.
The nurses were going to fix him up some and Elmer came to get Helen to see him. I didn’t go because I thought it should be just the two of them.
They will not have a funeral. He is going to be cremated.
I tried and Helen sure tried too but I guess tonight I was just too tired to do what I should have. Maybe if I had only gone down I could have prevented this. I guess I’ll never know.
We all had hoped so he would make the grade but at least they have warned us enough so it didn’t come as quite a shock, but still is hard to believe.
Will close now and get dressed and have things straightened a little before they get back.
We will both write later. I wonder if Helen will leave Elmer alone for the summer now. Will have to wait and see.
Love, Stella
P.S.
Tell Harold for me. I won’t write him today.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading