Sunday, November 23, 2008

624 6/23/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
Box 1310, Knoxville, Tennessee
Friday, June 23, 1944
Sadie Erwin
9007 South Elizabeth, Chicago, Illinois

Dear Mom,
Here it is only 10 a.m. and the main part of my work is finished so I am finally getting better organized. Mary has gone back to sleeping all the time, practically, so that helps a lot. Yesterday I took Jimmie up on the hill to play in the sand and met a woman there who has a 15 year-old daughter. The daughter just loves to take care of children so is going to take care of Mary whenever I want to go to the store. She said any night Elmer and I wanted to go out she would come over too. She lives just five houses from us. The mother’s name is Mrs. Elliot. She has a boy in the army and the 15 year-old girl and a six year-old girl. She said she was so sorry she didn’t get to meet you.
Bill Davy got a house on the hill right above us. I hoped they wouldn’t move so near but Elmer said I didn’t have to start hauling Betty around or taking care of her kids. A bus runs right in front of her house anyway. We are going to have neighbors in the house next door. I surely hope they have a child.
A cool breeze is blowing but the weather is still awfully hot. Last night was the hottest night in 13 years. The forecast for the weekend is 95 and 96.
Night
Your letter came today that you wrote in the park. I feel awful about your not getting reservations to Portland and will worry about you and will be so glad when you get home. When you get on the train ask the porter to try and get you a berth and keep at the porters and conductors and you still might get something. There may be last minute cancellations.
Jimmie has slept alone in your room the last two nights. He asks where you are all the time. Esther Dean came over this afternoon. She said she liked you so much and I told her you liked both of them too.
Tomorrow morning Mary Francis is coming over to stay with Mary while I go to buy groceries. Elmer isn’t going to take that other job unless the salary is too good to turn down but I doubt if it will be. My family is all asleep so guess I will join them but I’ll write again tomorrow and send it to Enumclaw. Tell Glad I’ll write soon and I’ll be thinking about you on your trip and anxious to hear how you get along.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading