Tuesday, October 21, 2008

749 12/31/1928 Sadie Erwin to Albert Erwin

Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Monday, December 31, 1928
Albert Erwin
2206 Hennepin Ave., Minneapolis, Minnesota

My dear Albert,
Your letter of the 27th came today and was certainly enjoyed by all. One from Gladys received too.
Jimmie is asleep and the girls are at Eagon’s watching the old year out and the new year in. They are supposed to make a lot of noise at midnight. I wonder if there will be any whistle blowing. Not like where you are I know.
I did not send any Sentinel last week as intended but will this time. Found I had not read all the articles in the one I was going to send.
I worked more on Stella’s coat today. And did all our ironing so feel I really got something done.
The girls just came in, Mr. Eagon is home this evening and he is taking them all downtown to see what is going on. It is nearly 12 now. I have been reading a lot this evening while it has been quiet. Helen comes home every little while to see if I mind being alone or if I am afraid.
Yes, it seems strange and also lonesome to take part of my family to the train and bus station. When Gladys went I wished I had not been so free to promise she could go away for Christmas. And the night you left, I am sure if your ticket had not been bought, I would not have let you go. It was only my faith that we were being divinely led to make such a move that kept me going at all for the first week after you had gone. I feel now the time will go a little faster, for there are so many things to do around here before I am willing to put the place up for sale. The girls have been helping me a lot this past week and I don’t feel quit so discouraged with it all as I did. And then I am trying to think rightly about it too.
I hear some shouting and blasting going on. Someone is trying to do their part. Eagon just went by with a lot of our old cans tied to his car, and tooting his horn. I suppose the children are having a big time.
We are trying to calm Jimmie down. But sometimes he gets rough and tough as can be. (About a dozen cars just went by tooting and making plenty of noise.) I find I can do more with him by talking to him than scolding.
I am so glad you are getting on with the work, and am glad you can see where C. S. can help you in every way. By going to church Wednesday you may hear just what you need to help you thru the week. At least you are sure to hear something good and we can never hear too much of that. Mrs. Eddy must have seen where we had need of them or she would never have set aside one evening each week for testimonials.
Jimmie will be 6 years old Jan. 7.
Stella will be 12 years old Jan 12.
Helen will be 14 years old Jan. 24.
Gladys will be 18 years old May 11.
And next June 22 you will have been married 19 years, so don’t forget that either. I will not give you my age for I am trying to forget it.
We have rain with us again tonight. Everything is getting very wet. It is about 50° above during the day but even at that I have good fires for one feels chilly with so much downpours around. I have plenty of boys in to play, they get wet and cold and like to come in where it is warm.
Write when you can, but we don’t expect you to write every day. We may not write as often after school starts again either but will write as much as we can.
The Good Hope Dairy has a little girl about four years, holding her doll and looking up at a lot of birds flying above her for their calendar picture this year.
That 40.00 must look good to Mr. Truax. It all helps we know.
I hope Ellsworths are becoming interested in Christian Science. Have always felt Mrs. Ellsworth would believe it if she had a chance to understand it. Charity has a number of C. S. friends so knows something about it.
Isn’t it fun to meet old acquaintenances like you do? At least you can’t feel quite like a stranger in the old town.
Will be glad to have Mr. Dunn’s lecture to read when you are thru with it.
I think your Hennepin Ave. cafeteria puts up a good meal for the money and if it tastes good you could not ask for more.
Poor old Swager certainly needs the truth about ___ supply to help him. Yes, he was important some years ago. In fact too much so to put himself out for anyone. Mrs. Swager told me last fall that money had been his God and it hurt him to see it go.
I had a letter from Annie today. Said they had received your lovely greeting. And were so glad to know we were moving back after school was out.
I did not have a chance to talk with Mr. VanHoof Sunday. You certainly should hear from some of your greetings. Bert Allen will write I am sure.
Jan. 1st 1929
I did not finish this letter last night and as the P. O. is not open today we did not get the letter mailed.
The morning was beautiful. Warm as a spring day. Sun shining and everything was lovely then, within an hour’s time, it had clouded up and was raining and has been at it all day.
The peonies and daffodils are up about an inch from the ground. The rose bush at the end of the porch is covered with little new leaves. The cherry tree and pear tree are all budded. It is too early for those things to be coming out unless our cold weather earlier in the month is all the winter we are to have.
I have just posted my monthly report and have copied it for you. I never expect to have such large bills here in this town again. Just so Jensen’s are paid during January, will be all right. You send me what you had expected to and I know I can take care of the bills as they come due.
I am enclosing some clippings that would interest you.
We had a nice pot roast for dinner, mashed potatoes, gravy and dumplings, apple pie made from my canned apples. Everyone was satisfied with what they had and called it a very good dinner. Tonight we are having milk and chocolate pie with whipped cream.
10 P. M.
Lily and Gerald came up this evening while I was writing to you. They just left. Lilly brought Jimmie some little blocks, a lot of balloons and a bag of candy. We certainly enjoyed seeing them. Lilly said the night you went away Jack worked until 3 the next morning. And the following night until after eleven. Said they had gotten your greeting. Didn’t know if Jack would ever find time to write but to tell you “hello” for them anyway. They talk some of staying back in Minnesota for a year. Jack and Gerald are all for it. They have given up all idea of building at Bryn Mawr. The boys say they will never live there and Jack feels he can’t while he is on his present job.
I expect the little Smith boys down tomorrow so want to get to bed so I can get up a little earlier tomorrow.
With love from all, Sadie.
P. S. Lilly said it is understood that we are to take in the State Fair together next fall.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading