Monday, November 17, 2008

580 5/3/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
1414 Cole St., Lake Charles, Louisiana
Wednesday, May 03, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Elmer and Jimmie are out in the yard so I’ll start a letter to you. Mom, maybe you and I and the two children will be driving to Knoxville, Tennessee as soon as I can travel. Kellogg has had a big job there for the past year and expects it to last another year. They need another engineer so wired this job for one and Mr. Haugeto offered the job to Elmer. Elmer asked about the housing situation so Mr. Haugeto called them and they wired back today that the company had unfurnished two and three bedroom houses for their employees. The refrigerator, electric stove and beds are furnished and the salary almost compares with what he is making now. We are pretty excited about it and will know more about it in a day or so. They want Elmer right away so if he can get his release he will go. Then if you come down we’ll drive up there. Knoxville is up in the mountains and they say the climate is really nice.
I’m worried about your traveling at this time, Mom, because I heard over the radio that this summer all civilian travelers can be put off the train at any time for soldiers even though you have reservations. Maybe though that won’t be put into effect until you are home again.
Tonight at the table we were talking about Tennessee and afterwards Jimmie picked up Elmer’s jacket and said goodbye to us and said he was going to Tennessee. We didn’t pay much attention to him and quite awhile afterwards I realized what he had said so Elmer went to look for him. He was down in the next block pulling his wagon with Elmer’s jacket in it. When Elmer caught up with him and asked him where he was going he said he was on his way to Tennessee. He goes to the toilet all by himself now and seems to have stopped wetting his pants all of a sudden. He tells me when he has to go and I take his pants off and he runs in the bathroom and gets up on the toilet alone. It sure is a big help.
Last night before going to bed I made a pig of myself on chocolate cake so got sick during the night. I felt kind of bum today so planned on a long nap this afternoon but I had three different callers so couldn’t sleep after all. I laid around all morning though as Jimmie plays outside all the time.
1 hour later
Things certainly happen fast. Mr. Haugeto came over and said they wanted Elmer in Knoxville by Monday morning. We have a lot to do now to get him ready as he will probably leave Sunday. It’s really best, his going ahead, because he can then get the house all ready for us to move into. Then as I get things packed I can ship them right on and there won’t be all that last minute confusion. I’m hoping all this excitement won’t bring the baby before you get here, Mom.
How do you feel, Pop? I hope you are back to work now and I’m working for you too. It was swell Jim got to call again. I wonder if he has left now.
I have to stop now and fix my hair and press a dress as I have to go to the doctor in the morning. More later.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading