Wednesday, December 3, 2008

276 10/20/1950 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Friday, October 20, 1950
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
The baby is one day old today and I think we will name him David. I haven't even seen him yet as he is in the premature room but I don't think he is in an incubator. An incubator baby is under 5 lbs and this baby weighed 5 lbs and 5 oz but I guess they are keeping him in that room in case he loses a little. He came almost a month early but I sure am glad to have it over with ahead of time.
The water broke at home about 5:30 Wednesday morning. I called the doctor later on in the morning and he insisted I go right to the hospital even though labor hadn't started.
I didn't want to go but Elmer also insisted. I got there at noon and then spent the rest of the time hoping labor would start so I could get it over with. When Elmer left he called the practitioner for me and at midnight I got the first pain and the baby came five hours later. The labor wasn't bad at all and I feel just wonderful and did even right after the delivery. For the first time I didn't have to have stitches. Even yesterday afternoon I was allowed to get out of bed and walk to the bathroom. Now today, the second day, I can get up all I want to.
Saturday Morning
Since starting this letter I have learned that the baby is in the incubator but is coming along just fine and eats good so I'm hoping I'll be able to take him home with me when I go. Elmer and I got to see him for a couple minutes yesterday and he is a cute little thing. His face looks fat and nice. The doctor said he is a perfect baby with no defect.
The weather has been lovely and I'm anxious to get home. I have a very nice roommate but she will be leaving today or tomorrow.
I'm sorry I missed talking to you Thursday morning. I thought my chances of getting all three of you were best at the store. Jim sounded so natural and he couldn't figure out who was calling at first.
Well Folks I will stop for now. I don't have any envelopes so will have to wait until Elmer comes and give this to him. More later.
Love, Helen.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading