Friday, November 28, 2008

782 10/14/1946 Louisa Erwin to Albert Erwin

Louisa Erwin
Waseca, Minnesota
Monday, October 14, 1946
Albert Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Albert, Sadie,
and all you folks,
Last week I looked at the calendar and realized that Albert's birthday was almost here and thought, "Now I surely will send him a letter for his birthday," and maybe if I get this mailed before 3:30 and send it airmail you might get it yet. I don't think a week has passed since you wrote that you weren't coming visiting, that I haven't that "Well this week I will surely write to Albert's folks," and you see how I did it. Seems to me I never spent such a hectic summer. Just one thing after the other. But it hasn't been any better for you folks. I guess we both put in about the same number of hours, but mine is a little more broken up so not so tiresome. I really don't see how you stand it. And then try to do a little house work at home between times.
We were very much disappointed not to see you folks. We had surely planned on it, and hope you will be able to make it some time. If you could be here for Albert's birthday I would give you a duck dinner. They are just nice eating now. We did not raise so many ducks this year, but have about 45 young geese. And do they ever eat! We ought to get a good price for them to pay for the feed. Like everything else it is very high. Maybe you sell it, so you know it. I was so sorry about the butter. I hadn't realized that there was a shortage because they churn enough for our own community, so there is enough of it, but we pay ninety-cents a lb. and it is 97, I guess, in the stores. I hope you are doing well in your store. With so many things hard or impossible to get it must be hard keeping store.
It seems as though I spend half my time on the road. Not that much, of course, but enough to break up my time very much.
Bill worked at the pea vines during pea season and I had to take him to work at about six in the morning and since he worked till ten or twelve at night, I took his dinner to him and a lunch for supper (at the same time) and went and got him later. I used to get up at 4 o'clock and feed chickens before I got his breakfast. That lasted about six weeks, then he worked at Gene's (his brother) in shucking and threshing. He worked there all spring until pea vining and of course wouldn't stay nights so it was still two trips a day and usually made a trip to town. Then he went into the canning factory when corn canning started. I even worked two weeks and a half and sure wish I could have stayed longer. I made 60 cents an hour, 9 hours a day. But Grandma had to come home from Ruth's and I had tomatoes and other things to can. Bill is still there. They are canning or freezing carrots and pumpkins. I think they will be thru in a couple of weeks. Then he has a promise of a job at Swift's produce house. Jim is working there now and staying home. He is planning on getting married November 9th or 16th, then it will just be Johnny left. This begins to seem like a history, so I might as well finish the family news. Marian and Ted's wife each had a little girl the first week in August and Vinton's wife (Doris) had one September 25. They all wanted boys and all had girls. So we went to the last of the three christening parties yesterday. Oh, O forgot to say Jim is marrying Vince's wife's sister.
Well, that ought to be enough family history, it would be so much easier to tell it all than to write it. Sure wish we were within visiting distance.
I had a nice card from Gladys and hope to answer it some day. When Gladys was here and the kids were taking pictures she had them take one of Mother, Ruth and I, for Albert and I don't think you ever got one of them. You can see by that how small Mother is getting.
She is not nearly as tall as that now. Hardly up to my shoulder, so bent over, with quite a hump on her back. And so weak and shaky. She still gets around, though, although much of the time she has to be helped out of her chair, and I have to feed her, because her hand shakes so, and dress and undress her, like a child.
She went along to Vince's birthday yesterday. She seems so helpless, but has no aches or pains, for which we are thankful.
We so enjoyed Gladys' visit, seeing the little girls and meeting Cully. I really fell in love with him. I do like him so well. I was so sorry to miss seeing Jim and would so like to see Helen and Stella and their families. Maybe some time Stella could find time to write us a little letter, because I know you can't find time to write many letters and you still have Helen to write to. Is she still in the same place? If not, and someone finds time to write me some time, please send me her address. I might get around to send her a card some time.
Well, this is a kind of crazy rambling letter, like the writer, but maybe better than none, if you can read it. And now the clock says if I want to get this in the afternoon mail, I had better run. So many happy returns, Albert, and much love to all of you.
Of course, Mother sends much love and greetings to you all. She will never forget her lovely visit to you. She enjoys the pictures you sent. Well, goodby once more.
Mary.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading