Tuesday, November 4, 2008

435 3/1/1942 Jim Erwin to Helen Carlson

Jim Erwin
1903 Alpha, Pullman, Washington
Sunday, March 01, 1942
Helen Carlson
Box 582 Newburyport, Massachusetts

Dear Helen & Elmer,
A letter came from you last week which was a surprise. I had told mother that you and Gladys hadn’t written for quite awhile. The next day or so a letter came from you, then mother wrote to you and told you what I had said to her. You didn’t have to write another letter but I was glad to get it anyway.
Saturday I moved and like the place very much. The weather is beautiful today. It’s nice and balmy out. Everybody is out walking. Hope it stays nice. Glad to hear you had a nice day too.
It was swell that Bob could get to see you and Elmer. It was just as nice for you to see him, I bet. Too bad he couldn’t have stayed longer.
Elmer is smart in taking all the car keys with him. There isn’t any danger of wasting the tires. You don’t have to cook dinner that way.
Did the article say Cully was the best American player now or better than anyone ever? He is plenty good which ever way it is.
Last night I went to a tolo Sadie Hawkins dance and had a wonderful time. The outfits were really crazy. Everybody was laughing and acting goofy all the time. The crowd picked out a Li’l Abner and Daisy Mae. They got prizes. They were sure good ones. (I mean the kids.)
When I was living at the other house Floyd Searl, a kid that lives here with us, knocked my radio off of a shelf and broke the case. It still plays swell but the plastic covering is all broken out or cracked. He is going to order a new case for me, though. It’s the only radio that any of us had here so am sure glad I own one. It is a good radio and plays good.
The band is giving a concert next Sunday so we have to practice day and night. It’s fun playing so don’t mind it.
We ate dinner tonight and it only cost us 18¢ a piece. Pretty cheap don’t you think. We should save quite a bit covering the whole month.
My address is 1903 Alpha.
With love, Jim.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading