Thursday, October 23, 2008

291 12/30/1936 Helen Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Helen Erwin
4207 Grand Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Wednesday, December 30, 1936
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
It's turned cold out now and snowed quite a bit today. I wish the nice weather would last all winter.
I met Glad downtown after work today and we ate at the Forum and had our hair fixed. She has just left with Bill. He is either leaving tonight or tomorrow morning. Last night we all went out and had a good time. Only we ran into Cully and that sort of spoiled Glad's fun but he called her today so everything is all right.
Tomorrow night (New Year's Eve) we are all going over to Warnie's house and Jimmie's house too. Friday night we are going to the Chatterbox at the Nicollet. I think that will be fun.
Elmer's sister's baby is being baptized tonight so he has to stay home until that is over but is coming over here afterwards.
[A Little Later]
Bill just called up and his brother's car has stopped running so Elmer and I are going over to Corl's and play cards with Glad and Bill.
The temperature was just announced and it is 5 above but dropping rapidly. The wind is so strong it almost blows a person down.
Mother Personal
Mother, The football helmet I got for Jimmie is a little soiled on the lining inside but it was a 3 dollar one and I got it 75 cents cheaper because of that. It is so much nicer than the cheaper ones that I thought he probably wouldn't care if it was soiled. After he opens it will you explain how it was. I'm sure he will like it. I hope so anyway. Helen
----------------------------------------------------------------------
December 31, 1936
Dear folks:
Helen didn't finish her letter but I will mail it anyway and write some too.
Bill almost left last night but the airport called and said weather conditions were very favorable for flying and they were quite certain they would make the trip so he is taking the chance and expects to leave at 2 o'clock this afternoon. That will get him into K.C. at 7 tonight. He is going to take me to lunch this noon and leave right afterwards. Cully is sick in bed with a cold so I can see myself sitting home tonight. I really do not care, though, because Wally and Adelyn will be home too. She expects to go to the hospital any day or minute.
Our office will be closed Saturday so we will have from Friday to Monday off. That is a pretty nice vacation.
Della is still home too. I've certainly been busy but haven't made any mistakes and really have managed pretty good.
Kenny and Lorna got married this afternoon. Several of us have gone into together and bought them an electric coffee vac. Do you know what they are? They are glass things - and there is a tray for it to sit on. It holds 8 cups. I got it through Wally. They sell for $7.55 and it cost us only $4.53. I'm sure they will like it.
Have you had your toaster fixed yet?
Bill was down to the office yesterday and saw all the old gang. Some of the young fellows here certainly are in a rut so I guess Bill is pretty lucky to get such a good break. It won't be much fun traveling but he will get good money and eventually land a dandy job. It seems as though before you can get anyplace in this company you have to have so many years of selling experience so he might as well get it over with now. He dreads the trip. If I could only take it for him. I think it would be wonderful.
I will send Stella a pickle fork too in the next package. I hope we can get Stell's and Jim's birthday package out in time.
Della made me a lovely blue satin blouse for Christmas. It fits swell too. Now I will have to get a nice silk skirt to wear it with.
I had a letter from Agnes yesterday. She said they all had Christmas dinner at Ruth's. I guess she is a pretty good cook.
Agnes is going through here Saturday on her way back to Rochester. She has a wait of about 2 hours so I will go down and wait with her. We can eat and maybe shop around a little.
Viola was thrilled with your greeting and the note on it too. She is still having a hard time to get dates. I feel sorry for her but I know it is her own fault. When she does meet a fellow she spoils all her chances by talking too much and acting silly. She seems to think it is necessary to be real full of pep and all she does is make a darn fool of herself. Louise is still going with her friend and is real crazy about him. I hope nothing ever happens to break them up. Louise is a dandy girl.
I am getting fat again. I'm back up to 120 lbs and my clothes are all too tight. I hate that part but surely do feel swell. There are 70,000 cases of flu in the city. People that get it are very sick and usually for all of a week. Helen and I are both doing our work and know that we do not have to get it. The other 3 in our Dept. have each had their turn and are waiting for me but I'll fool them. They surely do like to make laws, though, and that makes it all the harder.
I'll try to tell you what I got for Christmas. Muriel sent me a table cover of some sort …

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading