Tuesday, November 25, 2008

23 7/22/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
Box 1310, Knoxville, Tennessee
Saturday, July 22, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Jimmie is asleep and Mary is almost. She is getting much prettier now because she opens her eyes wide and smiles and makes little cooing sounds. Today I had my bridge party and it would have been a success if Betty hadn't come over. Mary slept the whole afternoon and Jimmie stayed in the playroom the whole time and didn't come out until the party broke up. However Shorty never left the living room and stood right beside the bridge table the whole time. When everyone left Betty said she had to go to the store so walked out with the rest and got in the car. I don't know if she got a ride to town or not because everyone had to hurry and get home to get supper.
Jim's letter wasn't in with mine that you returned, Mom, so I hope you have found it. If he is in Burma he will probably see some excitement. Not too much I hope.
Elmer was able to get my camera by going down to the police station and showing the slip he got at the gate when he turned it in. Then he had to go some other place and register it and swear he would just take pictures of people and not scenery. When we have the camera with us we also have to always have the registration slip.
Today was just like Fall and is really chilly out tonight. It seems wonderful because the first of the week we had that terrible heat.
Mail is supposed to be delivered to the door the first of August. That surely will make it nicer. I'll let you know for sure though when they start it. Did I tell you I fixed that bedspread, by cutting it like you said Mom. It doesn't lap over much on the sides but I'm going to use them on the other two beds and ordered two rose spreads for our room and bought a round mirror for above the chest. Now I want to get a pair of rose curtains and I think I'll like the room better. I still can't get over having all those spoons. It seems wonderful and also to have spoons for all the bowls of food. You bought the tablespoons brand new didn't you? Well Folks this is a short letter but guess I'll stop and go to bed and I'll write more later.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading