Wednesday, November 12, 2008

525 1/12/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
2021-5th, Lake Charles, Louisiana
Wednesday, January 12, 1944
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I didn’t go back to bed this morning but instead got my hair washed and will start a letter to you now but I expect Jimmie to wake up any time. Our telephone here is on a low stand where Jimmie can reach it and yesterday I was out in the kitchen and heard Jimmie pick up the receiver and turn the dial. Then he started saying, “hello, wanna talk to Nandy.” Every time I use the phone he fusses to say hello to Nandy.
Mom I want to tell you that you must not blame Jim too much for the accident as it could so easily happen. This is the way it was. We live way out and on the way out here the road and sidewalk run right along together with no space in between at all. Suddenly the sidewalk ends and leaves the beginning of a deep ditch, like this ___. That night on account of the poor drainage system everything was flooded and Jim was following the edge of the road and when the sidewalk ended he drove right in the ditch, not being well-acquainted with that spot. Elmer said we could probably sue the city but that would take a lot of red tape and with Jim not around it would be hard. We have our car now and it cost 62 dollars and Jim says he is going to pay for it. I miss seeing him but he has been restricted so has probably been shipped out by now.
It looks like we are pretty sure of getting that garage apartment by the first of February so now I wonder if you will send the trunk by express. Also the radio, ironing board and Jimmie’s bed and toilet chair if possible. I don’t seem to be able to get a hold of a second-hand bed so thought if Sandy isn’t using it that it would be just as cheap to have that one sent down. I hate to have to even ask you to bother with all that stuff because it will be a lot of work. Practically everything will have to be packed so you will have to call someone from the depot to come out and get all the stuff and take it down to the freight depot and crate and ship it. Send everything by express and you will probably have to pay for it there and then you can tell me how much it all cost. We are going to have it sent to Davy’s house because they have a garage we can put everything in until we move, if we do. Now Mom, please, please don’t carry anything downstairs by yourself. Be sure Pop is home and ask Harold to help you too and take your time about sending the stuff.
This afternoon I was talking to Jimmie about how he used to help Pop carry in and pile the wood so ever since then he has been wanting to see Momma and Papa. I told him I hoped we could get out and see you soon.
It cost Jimmie about five dollars round trip to come down here but he seemed to enjoy himself so much I don’t think it was foolish to spend his money that way.
I’m glad you like the robe, Mom. I wanted to get you a heavier one but couldn’t in the size I wanted. I’m glad the slippers fit you, Pop. It was nice you folks and Bensons had Christmas together. The service pin Pop gave you was a lovely gift. I got the bank statements and thanks for sending them. Don’t send any more of those magazines of Elmer’s unless they are the big one. He doesn’t care about the little ones. They come once a week and the next week the big magazine comes and so on. I must owe you quite a bit on postage now. Keep track of everything for me, won’t you.
It takes Jim about seven hours to get down here from Shreveport but he usually slept during the ride. I wonder where he is now. I must write to him tonight and tell him to call me if he is still in Shreveport.
We are still having lots and lots of rain. It must rain here as much as it does out there. Frances’s mother is leaving tomorrow. It was nice having her here because she picked up after Frances all the time, otherwise there is a mess all over and the maid doesn’t come half the time.
Lets see, Jimmie came down New Year’s Eve late and had New Year’s Day here. That was on a Saturday and he had to leave at 11:30 that night. Then he came the following Monday morning early and was here all day and left at 11:30 at night and that was the last he was here. I sure miss him. He loved toast so much so we would sit and make toast and drink coffee and make more toast until we were way too full. Almost at every meal time he decided he wasn’t hungry. I think he was just worried about his weight. So I would say OK we’ll go ahead and eat and to let me know when he got hungry. So without fail every time he would pull up a chair (I always set a place for him anyway) and decide to just visit but he always loaded his plate. I think I told you didn’t I that he didn’t get into any trouble for being late back to camp. He is a lucky kid and I really think Jim is the same straightforward boy he used to be so don’t worry about him.
The night they were trying to pull the car out of the ditch Jim lost his identification tag that Marlene gave him. It was a shame because it was a lovely sterling silver one. He had an old pair of Elmer’s work pants on and said he had taken it off and put it in his pocket. The next day I took the laundry to the colored woman but went through the pockets first. If I missed feeling it she has it so now that I have the car I’ll be taking the laundry over there and will ask her about it. If she has it I hope she will be honest.
Well Folks I’ve written about enough for this time. Take your time about sending my things because I know it is a lot of trouble and I hate to bother you with it but I can’t buy those things here. Remember Mom about carrying them downstairs. Be sure you don’t. I’ll call Mrs. Davy in the morning and ask her what her address is.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading