Monday, October 27, 2008

337 9/8/1938 Helen Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Helen Erwin
1912 Third Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minn.
Thursday, September 08, 1938
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I had two nice letters from you today and was awfully glad to get them. Wally has gone to the hospital and Selma and I cleaned up the apartment real good. Al came over to see Selma and stayed for about ten minutes and left because he has a sore eye.
I’m glad you are getting a lot of canning done, mother. What do you want me to get with the coupons you sent? I bet Stella’s baby is getting bigger every day. Eden really has a cute baby and plans to leave the hospital tomorrow. I might move over to Mabel and Charlie’s when Eden comes back here to the apartment. I don’t think I will be able to stand her but maybe she will have changed.
So Jack and Phil aren’t going around together any more either. I don’t think Phil was so good for the boys. It’s too bad something had to go wrong with the car. There is always something to spend money for isn’t there. Pop, I started to call Mrs. Ellsworth this evening and then I decided it was too near dinner time so thought I would wait a few minutes. Then I decided to wait until after I see Glad and find out from her when she could see Mrs. Ellsworth too. Just while I’ve written what I just finished I decided I would call her tonight anyway and talk to her.
I was glad Elmer came down here over Labor Day instead because this way he could see all the kids and I didn’t want to go up to Cass Lake very bad anyway.
Remember the young fellow at the airport in Seattle who waited on me at the ticket office? Well he is working here at the Minneapolis Airport now. Did I tell you that Warnie got him his job.
Jimmie will be disappointed if he doesn’t play football this year. I would be glad too if he didn’t. I suppose they all want to play. It would be fun to catch a big salmon like Mr. Swain caught. Glad said she was going to get Cully to buy a place at the Sound and then you folks could live there all the time. I told her about the lot for sale next to Swain’s. Couldn’t we have a lot of fun down there? I guess I told you that some of us girls from the office are going out to Gladys’ place Saturday after work to spend the afternoon. I am anxious to see her and hear all about their trip. They didn’t win the finals anyway.
Eden was awfully glad to have a girl. That is what she hoped for. Selma and I haven’t gone out at all any night this week except last night we went with Wally to see Eden. Wally has been going out every night since Eden has been in the hospital. He wanted to go out again tonight with Marion and Steve but Selma and I told him he couldn’t go. We told him he had to report back here at the apartment when he left the hospital. He stays out until about 2 o’clock every morning and then his mother bawls him out when he gets home. He figures when Eden gets home he won’t be able to get out any more.
I’m sending your stamps back and if I get any odd ones I will send them to you. I’m going to send Dorothy Matz something for her baby tomorrow. I’m hoping before Glad and Cully leave we can go up and see Grandma and everyone. I’m glad to hear that Stella is paying Mrs. Smith something. I don’t blame you for wanting that bill paid, mother. It doesn’t seem as natural to be here as it does to be in Enumclaw.
Well I don’t think I better write any more because it probably won’t get there on one stamp.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading