Sunday, November 9, 2008

503 6/21/1943 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
401 Alexander, Monroe, Louisiana
Monday, June 21, 1943
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I had a nice letter from you today and since I just put Jimmie to bed I’ll write to you now. I had a letter from Jim too and he said he will soon be through there but will be glad to move onto some new place.
We are having some scorching weather and today the lady across the hall and the one next door said they had to go right to bed and stay there all day with the fan blowing right on them. It made me wonder how they ever lived through months of this if they are starting that already. Elmer said a lot of the southern men at work who are transferred away from the south are having an awful time because their wives can’t get help and they don’t even know how to cook because they have always had a colored woman to everything for them.
Sunday we had an awfully nice day. We went swimming in the morning. I had bought Elmer a pair of swimming trunks for his Father’s Day present from Jimmie. After swimming we came home and had a lunch and then we all slept all afternoon and then in the evening Mrs. Wilson came over and stayed with Jimmie while Elmer and I went out to eat and then went to a show. When we do move we are going to miss our front porch so much. We just live out here and it is so nice.
I’m sending you these sugar stamps. I would have sent them sooner but thought we might get out there but I might just as well mail them to you now. I won’t need them at all because I can’t do any canning as much as I would like to. I don’t even know how but if we ever settle down I certainly want to find out.
I had a nice letter from Frances Dew today and she is going to have a baby in December. Earl still isn’t in the army because he has a bad ear. Dorothy’s husband is over in England now.
We had a letter from Bob today too and he said he has received four medals or ribbons for fighting in important battles. They are in a camp now right down by the Mediterranean in Tunisia. He said it is a little better now but not to think he was having the time of his life.
Isn’t that just terrible about Edith trying to kill Uncle Perry. I feel awfully sorry for both of them. What caused her to lose her mind like that. Was she going through the change of life or what. I suppose Uncle Perry had to put her back in the asylum, or did she kill herself when she shot herself.
I really think Stella will like the white skirt now. I never liked mine before either but wear it all the time now. I looked for the other jacket but found you had just sent the one. I haven’t had my white jacket made over yet but am going to. I had the yellow one made over and like it but never have a chance to wear the jacket on account of the heat.
Yes the Jews dropped their charges against Mrs. Walter. They put up with an awful lot and tried in every way to get along with her. They never did do a thing wrong but she just decided she didn’t want to rent to Jews. Mrs. Walter has left town now and the Jews are moving the first of the month. They bought a regular estate outside of town. Their front lawn slopes down to the bayou and is really beautiful. They have a big boat house and several row boats and lots of ground. Louise picked me up the other day and took me out there. They spend money just like water. They buy absolutely everything and nothing is too expensive and they have the best of everything. They aren’t tight with friends either because whenever we go after a coke or sandwich or something Louise always insists on paying for it and has her money out before you even finish eating. I don’t especially enjoy her company though although she is awfully nice but she is a Jew and just seems different. I certainly intend to see more of her though when she moves out to this new place.
I was wondering why you were going to Portland, Mom, but see it is church work or are you going to start taking class now. You’ll be away from home quite a while won’t you. I wish I were out there so I could take care of you, Pop. Don’t get too lonesome. Elmer hates being left alone worse than anything in the world I think. Mom you will be there by the time this arrives and I hope everything goes along just fine.
When Annie leaves her father will be taken care of because her mother still lives here too. Her boys are all grown but I don’t know how much Annie stretches things so don’t know if everything is true she tells me. I do believe she is going to California though.
When we had our picnic supper out the other night at the park I just had to clean up afterwards too but we left the bag of garbage on the table and Elmer whistled at the Negroes around there and they ran over to finish up the job. They go through the garbage and eat anything that is left.
I will be awfully glad to get Jimmie’s picture.
Well Folks, I guess I better stop now and get busy and wash my hair. It gets just terrible from the pool but I don’t know what good it does to wash it and set it when I just get it all wet the next day again. I hope you manage alright, Pop, by yourself and I’ll write often so you’ll get some letters.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading