Wednesday, October 29, 2008

385 2/20/1939 Sadie Erwin to Helen Erwin

Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Monday, February 20, 1939
Helen Erwin
5201 28th Ave South, Minneapolis, Minnesota

My dear Helen,
I’ll start a letter to you first, then will write to Gladys.
Jimmie has taken the car and gone out to see Vivian for a little while. Promised to be home by 9:30. Guess Papa told you in the letter he wrote this morning how Jim did not get home until 3 A.M. yesterday morning. I was plenty worried too. He has promised not to do that again.
Today was a beautiful day. I did a big washing and got everything dry. Would iron tomorrow but am invited out to Mrs. Duchateau’s for lunch. She is having a lot of ladies.
Your Thursday letter reached me Friday afternoon as you hoped it would do. I am sorry I neglected you so last week. The P.T.A. kept me terribly busy. We fed about 120 or more. I was plenty tired Friday when it was all over with.
I had a nice letter from Mrs. Ellsworth a few days ago. She does not expect to reach Minneapolis before the first week in April. I am glad she plans to stay that long in California.
Papa will have Wednesday off. We had thought some of going over to see Hazel on Hood Canal but do not know for sure if we will go or not. Jim does not want to go so it may influence us to stay home.
I guess I told you I had received the spoons, so now have all the silver Mrs. Schweigle sent for. Thanks a lot for getting it for her. Another time I’ll be more careful about orders I send to you.
You have had some cold weather and by tonight’s report you still have it too cold to suit me.
Eden’s baby is a darling. It is nice they have such a good picture of her. It will mean so much to them in after years.
Bernice is so cute. She is crazy about cards. Last night she sat on the davenport beside Stella and would tip her head sideways so she could see the cards better.
I am glad you are getting along so nicely with your shorthand and have been able to stay with it this time. Papa says anyone that has gotten the good marks Elmer has will be sure to get a job when he is through school. So neither one of you have wasted your time in studying as you have.
Stella comes over and reads your letters and Gladys so got the news you wrote about the kids she knows. She should find time now to write to you girls. She got so thin while she was working. Harold said he was going to see to it she gained 10 lbs in the next month. Without clothes she would not weigh more than 100 lbs.
Have you gotten hold of Rose yet? It will please her to have you call. She is different than Speck.
I must write to Grandma too. It is a shame the way we neglect her. I am glad you write to her once in a while anyway.
My letter missent to Chicago was put in the wrong bag in Seattle. Do you remember how they were calling the weight of the mailbags the night we were at the airport?
Duke had what they call distemper caused from a cold. His accident he had, a year before when a car hit him, did not help matters any.
The folks of that boy that fell in the furnace at his work must feel terrible. I don’t think anyone would deliberately throw himself into a furnace, do you? He must have fainted or tripped and fell. It could not have taken anytime to kill him, but terrible to think about.
Jim and Papa think it will be fun to have those speedometers. Papa will be surprised I am sure to find out how far he really walks in a day.
I enjoy reading about Chuck and his doings, Peaches, her brother and sister-in-law. Hope they can make up and be happy. I hate to hear of broken homes like that.
Harold and Stella seem very happy. Both are good workers. She helps Harold with the money she earns and he thinks she is wonderful. We enjoy having them come over and play cards. She bought Bernice an unpainted high chair because it was cheaper. Harold painted it after he painted the bed. Both look so nice and they are glad to have what the baby needs without having to go into debt for them. Mrs. Jacobs got Bernice a jumper for Christmas. So they feel she is well-supplied with good things.
Yes, the study club I write about is connected with the Garden Club. To join, one has to be a paid-up member in the Garden Club. We study plants and learn how to arrange flowers, make holly wreathes and corsages. I enjoy it all very much.
It was too bad Earle Pearson could not get on down at work but you did all you could. He may some time anyway after several tries.
I am glad you have been free from colds and there is no reason you should have one either. Just keep your thoughts right about it. The weather reports just said that Minnesota hoped to dig out from the storm they had over the weekend. The cold weather and heavy storms do work a hardship on so many people.
You asked me in your last letter if I had heard from Speck. I had a greeting at Christmas time but still owe them a letter since last summer. Frank and Speck both wrote us a letter before Francis was married. I’ll try to answer it some time.
You remember Corral Pass. One of the Rangers is going up there tomorrow on skis to see if the mountain goats are getting anything to eat. Goodnight.
Much love, Mother.
7 am Feb 21, 1939 – Dear Helen, I saw mother’s letter so thought I would write a few lines. It is cool out again, it is 28° above. You have been having some cold weather, but it will soon be getting warmer. The store will be closed tomorrow, Washington’s Birthday, so we will go to work at 8 this morning and quit at 6 this evening. We had figured on visiting Hazel tomorrow but have just about decided to put it off until some other time.
Love, Pop

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading