Wednesday, December 3, 2008

667 1/10/1951 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Wednesday, January 10, 1951
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Your nice letter came this afternoon and I’m going to try and answer it right now before I have to start supper. I just gave Davy an extra bottle so he would be good until it is time for him to eat. He always gets hungry ahead of time.
Mrs. Dahlstrom called yesterday and said she didn’t get a Christmas card from either you or Stella and wanted to know if I knew the reason why. I wondered for a second if I should tell her why but then decided I better find out from you first what you wanted me to say in a case like this so I told her maybe the cards had been missent or something and then I hurried and changed the subject. She said Edna had a card from Stella.
Yes, a few days before Christmas a card came for Elmer for the subscription. I didn’t give it to him until we opened our presents. Then a few days later a big certificate came saying he was a member of the National Geographic Club. Then, right after the first, the first magazine came. They certainly are wonderful magazines with all the pictures and news. They are magazines that a person will always want to keep.
It is warm out today, 25 above, so I took advantage of it and went out and cleaned out the car and scraped the snow and ice off from it. Tomorrow I am taking Davy down to be circumcised. I sure hate to do it. Nellie offered to go with me and hold Davy while I drive.
I think it is just wonderful that you bought those nice things for yourselves for Christmas. Have you tried your mangle yet. Let me know how you like it. It is bound to make your ironing go faster after you get used to it. Where do you keep it? Your roaster really must be a big help, and I think I am the happiest over the ironing board. I believe every time I put mine up I have thought of the one you have and wished you had a different one. That alone will make your ironing go faster. The next thing you should get is a steam iron. I have one and think it is just swell as I only have to sprinkle the starched things. Hankies and everything else go unsprinkled. That nylon shawl you are sending Davy must be just lovely. I will save it for spring as I am doing all the nice things he gets.
You are right about thinking I shouldn’t get too friendly with Delores. I will never trust her again and I have no desire to see her at all but will once in awhile just to keep peace around but that probably won’t work either. She calls me all the time and says she will take care of Davy any night or any time and we can even leave him all night at her place. Then a couple of days ago she called and said she and Bob wanted to go to the office party that is this coming Saturday night and they didn’t know what they were going to do with their two kids but I didn’t offer to have them bring them over here at all and I don’t intend to start that. She said she guessed she would have to ask Nellie if she would take care of them.
The violet leaves you sent me are wonderful to see this time of the year. It seems impossible that we can live in such different climates. It seems funny that Stella can be out playing golf in January. The snow is really piled high here and winter is just getting a good start. Last Saturday I bought a new plain green gabardine coat and then I ripped up my fur coat and lined my new coat with the fur. I am just about finished now and hope to finish it all up tonight. It really looks good. They charge 80 dollars in the stores to line a new coat with an old fur coat. I cut out the worn spots on the coat and put in good pieces so the whole thing looks like new and it is certainly a good warm coat now for only twenty-eight dollars.
By the way, Delores got her report from the x-ray and she doesn’t have T.B.
Elmer did get a reply from that company in Seattle but he hasn’t written back to them yet with more information which they want and the salary. I am so mad at him but if he doesn’t do it this weekend I think I will write the letter myself.
Davy is crying so I’ll have to stop for now and fix him up and start fixing supper. I hope Gary is feeling better now. He had a cold when you wrote to me. I’m going to write to Ruth tonight.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading