Wednesday, October 29, 2008

367 12/14/1938 Gladys Dahlstrom to Helen Erwin

Gladys Dahlstrom
Hotel Guyon, 4000 Washington Blvd, Chicago, Illinois
Wednesday, December 14, 1938
Helen Erwin
5201 28th Ave South, Minneapolis, Minnesota

Dear Helen:
I have two letters from you to answer. Really, I think our packages are just swell this year.
I only put your and my name on the sweater to Pop and the other package for him – only from me so that is all okay.
The flannel nightgown idea for Grandma is just swell. I bought a nice one for Cully’s mother for $1.65. You get it there and send it from us both. Don’t send me any money on Pop’s gift and we will call it square. Is that alright with you?
Mother bought Jim a pair of pants so he will have a nice outfit all together. I sent him a pair of earmuffs extra.
Did you go swimming? It sure is fun. We have a pool just a block from here that the girls use often. I guess I’ll have to go down one of these days.
Edna isn’t taking much time off. You see Monday will be a holiday too.
No we hadn’t heard how St. Paul lost to Minneapolis 12-0 – that really is awful.
Last game here they didn’t play Cully so very much. I hope everything will go alright. It is hard to tell what will happen next in the darn business. It would be terrible if they sent him home but I’m sure that won’t happen.
We have been going out in real class lately. Monday night Al and Ev had 14 of us over for a big chicken dinner. It was a regular banquet, fancy drinks and all. After dinner Al showed his moving pictures for about 2 ½ hours. Then the Morris Sisters sang for about another hour. Gee it was swell.
Last night the manager of our hotel gave a big dinner for the hockey player’s wives in their penthouse apartment. Gosh it is beautiful up there. There were 24 of us and they had turkey and all the trimmings. After dinner we danced in this big lovely room on the roof. We didn’t leave until midnight. I bought a new little blue wool dress. It is very plain – short sleeves and a wine colored wide belt. Tomorrow is payday so I will get a pair of wine colored shoes. I can also wear them with that dress I had made over before I left Minneapolis.
My cold is better but I’ve had an awful time. I cough all night long and Cully was getting worried. Just had to get over it or he would have called a doctor.
Warnie is a fool. How does he ever expect to amount to anything if he has to drink all the time.
Where does your dressmaker live? It is swell to know one to have her fix and make things. She certainly is reasonable.
Cully and I are going to see “Old Chicago” tonight. It is an old show but we both missed it and it is supposed to be good.
Cully says you are wrong – that one of the Erwin girls was plenty lucky to get such a swell fellow as he is.
My hips have been getting bigger and bigger so I’ve started to roll every night before I go to bed. I weigh 119#. How much do you weigh now? I eat too much all the time and don’t do enough work.
Don’t work too hard. It will be nice to have a vacation from school especially during the Christmas rush. Write whenever you can even if it is only a note.
Love, Gladys.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading