Sunday, November 23, 2008

605 6/1/1944 Helen Carlson to Albert Erwin

Helen Carlson
1414 Cole St., Lake Charles, Louisiana
Thursday, June 01, 1944
Albert Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Pop,
You certainly have been good about writing. I hope you are feeling better now and I think you are doing swell to stick it out at work like you are doing. Mother is kept plenty busy but in a day or so I’ll be more help to her. Next week we will do the packing and hope to leave around the 14th. I wish you were going to make the trip with us as I think it will be a nice one. We are going down to New Orleans and then will go along the coast for quite a ways. We plan on making the trip in about three days. I had been having so much trouble with the car and at first it looked like I would have to just junk it as it had a cracked block but I was lucky in finding a second hand one and all the other parts I needed. A friend of ours overhauled the car and I have it back now but still have to get new spark plugs put in.
The baby is awfully good and sleeps most of the time which helps a lot. The weather is awfully hot and mother doesn’t like that so well.
Afternoon
I had to stop writing this morning and feed the baby and then we had lunch and all took a short nap. Mother made a cake and it turned out just awfully good and I know it won’t last very long.
The baby has slept almost all day but is beginning to fuss a little now. She gets so warm and uncomfortable.
Elmer has our house for us so I am anxious to get started. The time will go fast after I start getting around more. Mother wants to write some too so will stop for now but we’re thinking about you all the time.
Love, Helen
Dear Albert,
We had so much company again last night that I did not get to write. The work is some easier now that Helen can wait on herself some. I keep busy all day and am up several times a night. The weather is still terribly hot. I’ll appreciate Washington more than ever when I get back there. I am going down to the store and will mail this letter. Will be sure to write tonight.
With love, Sadie.
P.S. We will start packing Monday. Helen wants to leave a week from then.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading