Thursday, October 23, 2008

259 8/3/1936 Gladys Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Erwin
General Mills, Inc., Minneapolis, Minnesota
Monday, August 03, 1936
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Here I am home and back on the job. It is really hard to believe. I can't help but think and think about everything we did while I was out there. I'm all mixed up, I hardly know where I am. It even seems as though you folks should be here. This morning I kept feeling like going to the phone to call Mother. I guess I thought she should be at 521.
I met Ad O.K. at Glacier. Her trip through cost her $16. I guess she enjoyed it but says it wasn't anything like Mt. Rainier. We heard many others say the same thing.
I talked with Helen until almost 3 o'clock this morning. I told her how wonderful it is out there and how much she would like it.
The weather is very comfortable. It is sort of cloudy and looks like rain. I hope it stays this way.
That C.C.C. boy Jim saw get on the train was supposed to have gotten on the Northern Pacific. Poor kid he didn't know what to do. They stopped the train a short way after we left the station to let him out and he had to wait until the next day to get his train.
Our berth cost us $1.80 that second night. The night before it would have been $1.20. It's different at different divisions.
Another woman got on one train and had her baggage put on another one. We had all kinds of mix ups.
My oranges went swell. I didn't eat hardly anything except a sandwich, a piece of pie, and a cup of coffee on the train until the second day. That is yesterday. I was about starved so Ad and I went on the diner and had a grand dinner for 50¢. The dessert wasn't included so we had an orange. I got by very nicely and wouldn't have needed the extra $2 but felt better knowing I had it. I'll keep it until I talk to Knutson.
I wrote a copy of a letter to Mr. Ferguson but had no paper or pen so had it all ready and recopied it last night and sent it Air Mail Special Delivery the first thing this morning. I couldn't help the other.
It is terribly hard to write on the train too. I couldn't get stationery on the train because they separated the train and put all the Pullmans together and ours went on alone. Both parts were about 13 to 15 cars long and they were all full.
Ad saw a couple of bear at Glacier so she was happy.
We were rushed this morning but are all caught up now. Mr. Saunders has been real swell so far. Mr. Thompson is all ears about the West. I told him about our ocean trip and Sunrise and he is all ready to hop a train out.
I'm glad we got a berth Saturday night because I slept swell and didn't feel a bit tired last night when I got here. The coach was full of crying babies and I don't imagine I could have slept so very well, otherwise I certainly could have because they surely are comfortable.
Tonight I'll bathe and unpack and get to bed early, then after that I'll call Knutsons and others.
Helen thought $75 a month was pretty swell for Stella to be making. She got a big kick out of me bringing back the red dress too. I'll exchange it tomorrow and will send you a real decent one real soon. I should have asked you what you'd like.
We forgot to bring back any of our sea cookies too.
Well have to go to work so will write again tomorrow.
Love, Gladys

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading