Wednesday, November 12, 2008

526 1/14/1944 Gladys Dahlstrom to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Dahlstrom
Hotel Guyon, 4000 Washington Blvd, Chicago, Illinois
Friday, January 14, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Mother’s nice letter came this morning. I will answer it right away as Elizabeth will be here early tomorrow morning and we will keep busy until she goes. I had my hair washed and set this afternoon. Helen Johnson came up to stay with the girls. I felt so much better to get fixed up for a change.
The boys’ train was due in at 5 o’clock this evening. It is 7 now and we are still waiting. Jeannie is all ready for bed but I want to keep her up until Cully comes if he will only make it soon. Ruthie is down the hall waiting by the elevator. She has missed him so much.
The boys won in NY last night 5-2. Cully scored again making his 12th goal. He has 11 assists for 23 points.
Glad you had such a nice day at the cabin. We may yet spend a winter up there. Yes, I’m sure we would be comfortable. Our cold spell here is broken and once again the weather is nice. Today the sun was shining and it seemed like spring.
Yes, John was home to his Dad’s funeral and left Minneapolis Wednesday to return to Sharon. Vi was in bed with the mumps and was supposed to stay there for 10 days. His train got in here at 7:30. I met him and brought him out the hotel. I had a letter from Vi telling me he was coming and that he wanted to stay all night here. It put me on a spot but it worked out okay. I had asked Leta Farrand to come over to stay all night – which she did but I put him in the apartment that belongs to a couple of the single boys. He had much more privacy and quiet there. He had to leave here at 7:30 the next morning so I was up at 6:30 to make breakfast for him. Seems like I wrote to you about all this. Anyway he could have taken a night train out of here if he had wanted so it made me sort of peeved to think he didn’t as long as Cully was away and he was alone. It isn’t easy for me to meet trains, etc. with the little kids.
Yesterday was the day Eleanor was to be over. Hope you enjoyed her and the boys. Too bad I couldn’t have been there too. She is a nice girl and means so well. Now you will feel better having finally had her – although I really should have been the one. Maybe yet I can do something for her.
Had a letter from Helen today also. She spoke as though Jim was going to be shipped out right away. I wonder where he will be sent?
Dorothy and Nick’s name is Osmonovich.
Glad the shirt to Pop was okay. We also sent one to Cully’s dad and brother but they both came back. Ralph’s was too small so I’ve decided to keep it for myself. His dad wants a dress shirt instead.
Mike Karakas is supposed to be doing okay and is expected to be a big help to the team. I sure hope so.
Cully had a wire today from a friend in Minneapolis asking him to reserve 18 good seats for Sunday’s game. They are arriving Sunday afternoon – coming just to see the game.
Love, Gladys

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading