Tuesday, December 2, 2008

181 8/26/1948 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Thursday, August 26, 1948
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
It is 7:30 at night and the temperature is still 92 above out. We have had three terrific days of heat with no let up in sight. This is only our second real heat wave though since the one we had when Stella and Harold were here. I really don't mind this one though because I know winter isn't far off and I hate to think of that. I just finished washing and waxing the car and cleaning it up inside. It sure looks a lot better.
Your nice long letter came today. Pop, I do hope you can get back here this fall. That would be just wonderful. I'm already thinking of things to do. We are going to a radio broadcast for one thing. I wish I had thought of that when Stella was here. It will be wonderful to see you so I sure hope you can make it. I think it is just swell that Stella is going to be able to help you folks out at the store. I think you will like that arrangement and I know Stella is capable in anything she does.
Jimmy is feeling fine now. Mary had the same sick spell, in fact it went all over Minneapolis, but both Jimmy and Mary slept it off during the night. I have been so lucky with both of the kids. They have been sick very, very little and those few times haven't lasted at all.
George's wife is to arrive tonight. I took an apple pie over to their house today so they could have something to snack on tonight. His boy came by plane and arrived last night so I saw him today. He was only 11 years old when I saw him last and we used to sit over at my cottage on the Island and play Monopoly as soon as he got home from school in the afternoons. Now he is a grown-up boy of 16, with an eastern accent, and just a wonderful boy. The eight year old boy is coming with Doris and the 20 year old boy is staying in New Hampshire with his grandparents.
Elmer has been working awfully hard finishing up this Heart Hospital he has been working on for so long. He has two weeks vacation time coming but so far hasn't had time to take any time off.
Today I took Grandma Carlson and Florence and Barbara and, of course, my two to Lake Harriet for our picnic lunch. Florence is just a nut but that is just the way she is so I can overlook anything she says or does.
Wasn't that something though seeing your old friends at Mabel's. I laugh every time I think about Pop going all that time without shaving. That's a pretty good idea I think. They did that in Oklahoma too, celebrated 49er's day and all the men had to go without shaving. Did you wear an old fashioned dress too, mother?
Your eggs are higher out there than here. I thought 73 cents a dozen was high but I haven't seen any higher than that. Groceries are a terrible price I think. Well, except for our house payments, now we are clear with the world and I am so glad. But it won't be long before we have to start buying oil. We are going to order a tank full the first of the month because we never know when we will need it after that.
Kids are supposed to start paying on the street car and bus when they are six years old. I very seldom use them but decided whenever I do take Jimmy I just wouldn't start paying for him until they started asking. Yesterday we took the car to the garage and then the street car up to Lake Street and the bus from there to the house and the street car conductor asked how old Jimmy was and I told him so he told me Jimmy had to pay so from now on I'll pay for him. I bought him new shoes today and they are size 2. He sure is getting to be a big boy. He will be away all day when he starts school because he rides the school bus so will have to eat lunch at school. I wonder how he will get along.
Oh, a breeze is coming up and it sure feels wonderful. Our nights haven't been bad during this heat wave.
Well Folks, I'm so dirty from cleaning the car that I'm going to have a shower and then get the kids ready for bed. Oh, yes Pop, I'm planning lots of good things to eat while you are here. Stella and Harold didn't get very good meals because it was just too hot to do much cooking but October should be a perfect time to come here.
More later Folks,
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading