Friday, November 28, 2008

136 5/20/1947 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
3409 Fremont Ave. South, Minneapolis 8, Minnesota
Tuesday, May 20, 1947
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Your airmail card came this morning and I have been thinking of Uncle Ben all day. I will be anxious to hear any news of him and I surely hope he will get better. Of course you will want to go there Mom, if he doesn't. It seems awful to me that families can't all live near one another. How long has it been since you have seen him? About those stockings I said they had in Nashville, Mrs. Ellis told me they get full of runs the first time they are put on so I didn't get any. But I did get a pair of nylons last week when I went into Nashville and when I got them home I looked them over and each stocking has a big pull all around it. I haven' worn them but had planned to send them to you before I noticed the pulls. Now I am going to send you the pair of nylons I have had for a while and have worn a few times but they are still good and if you go to Ohio you will need stockings. I very seldom need stockings and I'll probably be able to pick up another pair before long and the new ones with the pulls in might possibly last for a while.
[Several following paragraphs seem to have been written from
Tennessee and so are misplaced. Uncle Ben died 21 May 1947.]
We have been having beautiful weather in the 80's but a wind came up this afternoon and it is turning cold. Mary and Jimmy are outside playing with Jack. Jack has disappointed me very much by taking things from the house. Jimmie has a coffee can he keeps his money in and he had over two dollars in small change and that was all taken and the next day Jack had his pockets bulging with balloons and all kinds of things. He runs off with Jimmy's comic books and little things like hurrying and filling his pockets with nuts I have in a bowl and little things. I told Elmer I'll probably notice something is gone every once in a while now. I know his mother would feel terrible if she knew it but now I watch Jack very carefully every time he is in the house but I can't keep my eye on him every second. He is a wonderful playmate for Jimmy and Mary so I think I will talk to him one of these days and see if I can't help him to behave.
I have some vegetable soup on simmering and it smells so good I can hardly wait for supper. Last night Elmer promised faithfully he would leave here after he gets his bonus. He hopes it will be around 1500 and of course he hopes he will get it as he is supposed to. I met Mr. Selley for the first time last week when I went in. Usually I don't go up to the office as I am double-parked so just send Jimmie in but this time I found a parking place so went in while Selley was still there. He seemed very nice.
Did you get the pipes? I hope they went through o.k. How is Jimmy. Is he still working hard at the store and what about your car? Do you have it fixed up and back by now?
Bob Carlson is back home again and back in school. He and George had a wonderful time in New York and all in all had a swell trip except they had lots of flat tires. Bob was able to buy one new tire while in Lebanon. Bob said he told everyone what well-behaved children we had so that made me feel good. I think they are pretty good but often wonder what other people think of them.
Well Folks, I had better stop and get the table set. Mary just came in and is playing with the tinker toys. Do you get much laundry soap and soap chips? I'm getting along fine so far but wonder what people do who aren't in good with the store people. The same with toilet paper. I never see it in any stores but Ellis's save that for me too and I haven't been out of it yet. I also get lard up at Ellis's which they make themselves. I don't use much of it but Mrs. Jackson does so she gave me a sugar stamp for some lard.
Well I have to hurry now but I hope I'll be hearing some good news about Uncle Ben. Goodbye for now Folks. How do you like your new hours?
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading