Thursday, November 27, 2008

71 6/5/1946 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
Box 281, Sparta Pike, Lebanon, Tennessee
Wednesday, June 05, 1946
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

5:30 AM
Dear Folks,
Elmer just left for work so I'll write to you while Mary and Jimmie are still sleeping. It has been cold out the last week but looks like it will warm up today as the sun is out bright.
Did Glad and Cully get moved as planned? Their place sure sounds nice being right on the lake. I hope Cully can get into some kind of work he likes now. Glad said you had lost weight, Pop. I sure wish you folks didn't have to keep such long hours. Is the store going along fine?
Mom I hated to finish that book, "The Egg and I." I liked it so much. The store people are reading it now and like it too. They keep long hours like you folks and are opened Sunday mornings but just for a little while.
What has Jim been doing? I still find it hard to believe he is actually home again. The next time I go into Nashville I want to find out about the price of tickets out there.
These Rawlins across the street have relatives down the road who have to move from their house so they tried to get Mrs. Jackson's house away from her by going to her landlord and telling him Mrs. Jackson was leaving town and also offering to pay a couple dollars a month more rent. The rent is twelve a month. I don't even act friendly to the Rawlinses any more. Mrs. Ellis said they are awful people. She said they are always trying to think of ways to trick people out of something.
Well folks I guess I'll stop and have another cup of coffee before Mary and Jimmie wake up. We haven't been doing a thing. Sunday we had planned to go on a picnic but it rained so we will go this Sunday if it is nice.
I hope you're all fine and I'll write more soon.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading