Monday, November 17, 2008

578 4/17/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
1414 Cole St., Lake Charles, Louisiana
Monday, April 17, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I had a nice letter from you this morning, also one from Glad, and a card from the War Dept. giving Jimmie’s A.P.O. address. You have probably received yours by now too. It gives me a funny feeling to know he is actually on his way. Since he left from N.Y. I suppose he is going to England for the 3rd invasion. I would rather have him go there, though, than to the Japs. It will probably be a month anyway before we hear from him.
It is too bad Glad and Cully won’t be spending the summer at their cabin but Cully’s job does sound good and they were lucky to spend as many summers out there as they did. I wonder if they will go on living in their same apartment at the Guyon or look for another place to live.
Pop, you must have been having quite a time with your sickness. It doesn’t seem fair that someone like you has to suffer when some mean old person doesn’t. I hope you will be well enough to go back to work soon but don’t hurry, but be sure you are entirely well.
If you can come down here, Mom, it would be swell if you could ride to Chicago with the kids. Glad said she hoped you could. I know Jimmie is going to be just lost while I’m in the hospital. The other morning I told him I was going to have to go away for awhile to get the baby for him and it seemed to worry him all day because he kept saying he didn’t want me to go away. If you were with him I wouldn’t worry about him at all. I hope to get a colored girl to do the housework for you because I don’t want it to be too hard on you and it will be so perfect having you here.
Make your reservations now and then if you can’t come or you ride with the kids you can cancel them. Jimmie’s wagon came from Sears the other day but all broken so I had to send it back. I surely hope the next one will be O.K. I couldn’t even buy him a toy in town for his birthday but I bought him a truck at the dime store like he already has but he will like it. It is hard to get a thing in this town for babies or children.
Sunday afternoon we went down to the lake and there were several in swimming. Then we went to the show but Jimmie started making a lot of noise so we had to leave. We aren’t going to take him anymore until he gets older. After the show we went to a place to eat so all in all we had a big day for us.
It’s time to fix lunch again so will stop for now but will add on to this later.
Tuesday
The cute birthday card for Jimmie came today with your letter. I’m so glad Jim got to call you and I bet he was too. It is hard to believe he is actually on his way.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading