Monday, October 27, 2008

346 11/5/1938 Sadie Erwin to Helen Erwin

Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Saturday, November 05, 1938
Helen Erwin
General Mills, Inc., Minneapolis, Minnesota

My Dear Helen,
Your welcome letter and pictures came this afternoon. Was glad to hear from you and the pictures are lovely. I want to have them framed. Thanks a lot for sending them. You have spent a lot of money on pictures for us. Wish you would let me pay you for them.
I went to a study club out in the country yesterday afternoon. Then last night Mrs. Swain came down while the men were working at the store. They got through about 9. Mr. Swain came in and we played cards for a while. Mrs. Swain likes Screwy Bridge
I had a nice letter from Gladys today. It made me want to go right down there for a visit when I read about their nice apartment. You must be sure to go there for Christmas if you can. It will be nice for you girls to be together and then it will be a nice experience for you.
I’ll put her card up with your pictures in the High Boy. You know, the one you sent on to me? Unless you want me to send it back.
Stella and I’ll make use of those dresses when ever you get around to send them. I have several fixed up for her now but for a little while she hardly knew what to put on besides a house dress.
Eden may have an Aunt that is a C. S. practitioner but we have none by that name on the Lecture Board and if she was lecturing for the Mother Church she would be giving more than two a year. Where does she live? If her name is listed as a practitioner in our Journal I can find it if I know where she lives.
I am so glad you plan to buy your Science books. You will enjoy reading your lesson if you get started again. I hope your ear is alright now. I’ll help you when I can.
Thursday night Jimmie and I went to the Teacher’s reception in the basement of the Presbyterian Church. It was real nice. Jim played in the orchestra and the music was real good. They played for an hour while the people were coming and then again while they were eating. I was on the Entertainment Committee. I wore my brown dress and had the nice new purse Gladys sent me. I like it very much but will have to take off a few pounds before I can wear the girdle.
I am glad Irene is happily married again and has a husband that thinks so much of the little girl.
Evening Time
Thanks for taking care of those silver coupons for Jean. Hope she does not bother with any more.
Jimmie has gone out to see Vivian. He thought those two enlargements were beautiful. So did Papa. Jim took them out to show Vivian. He took her to a school dance last night. I wanted him to stay home tonight for he worked hard at the store today and was plenty tired but could not see it that way. He said the moon was too pretty.
If Chuck thought Bernice looked cute in her picture he should see her now. She is certainly a darling. Her skin is so fair. Her eyes are still very dark blue and she smiles and gurgles most of the time. When babies are fat you have to powder them well. Stella kept Bernice’s neck powdered well and still does otherwise the crease gets very sore.
It was nice you could have an evening with Selma and that Elmer could pick you up. I’d hate to think of you going way out home alone late at night. How does Elmer like driving way out there? It must be nice though for you all to live in a house again and I know you are happier there with the kids than you would be any place else.
What did Gladys do about her studio couch?
Yes, Aunt Lily manages to keep busy. I think she is happier that way. It gives her money of her own and she doesn’t have time to think of her trouble.
We all will make Christmas as easy as we can. Winifred and Jeannette are the only ones I send to besides you children. You must not try to do much either. You are always spending so much as you go along. We want you to save if you can so to come out here a little later on. We have been fortunate to have you out here every year but on the other hand I regret that you could not have been living at home all these past three years.
The Christmas cards should be here in a few days. Some of the playing cards Stella ordered came yesterday. As soon as your cards come in we will get them mailed to you. Christmas is 7 weeks from tomorrow.
It would be nice if you could come out with Bushes next summer. They would be swell to travel with. Still I want you here part of the time alone. Maybe you will decide to stay when you come.
Do hope Warnie does not lose his job. Why did the other man quit?
The bank is going to take up our mortgage December 1st. We will have a title insurance deed which will cost $20.00. Then after that we will pay $20.00 per month and interest at 6%. In five years we hope to have the place paid for. By paying the interest every month, it gets a few cents less and then there is not a big amount to be paid twice a year like we have been doing. Papa and I feel quite happy about it. The hundred we got last July from the bank will be added to the mortgage. Our other bills we expect to get all cleaned up the first of the year. Then there will be after that, just this one payment, which will be like rent; and our month living expenses.
I am afraid this will not reach you Tuesday if I send it out to the house so will send it to the office as long as I have not written for several days. I am anxious for you to get this as soon as possible.
I do not know what we will do tomorrow after church. If it is rainy or too cool we may not go to the cabin.
We heard they had 24 inches of snow at Tipso. Some of Harold’s friends went up there skiing today. Harold went hunting. Got one little bird. Stella said she could eat it all herself but was going to make it do for their Sunday dinner.
There is to be a C. S. lecture in Tacoma Monday night. Mrs. Swain invited us to with them.
I think Gladys will enjoy being in Chicago for the winter. She will be living in style have some money to spend so should be able to content herself. Wednesday night Polly and her husband went to see them.
We were glad to read in our paper that Cully’s team won their first game of the season.
If I do not stop you will be all tired out from reading this. Now that Gladys has gone, maybe you can meet Mrs. Ellsworth downtown some time. Did you go into the house out there or see Leila?
Much Love. Mother

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading