Monday, November 17, 2008

575 4/10/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
1414 Cole St., Lake Charles, Louisiana
Monday, April 10, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I had a letter from both you and Jim today. I’ve been thinking of you, Pop, ever since and will be anxiously waiting to hear how you are. If you aren’t completely well right away I think Mrs. Ziliax should be called. I will do plenty of work for you too and if I weren’t having a baby in seven weeks I would try to get out there. I hope you will be able to see Jim if he is sent to the West Coast.
This morning I went to the ticket office and got my information, Mom. Coming down the way I did you can only get tourist rates as far as Kansas City and after that they don’t have any. By coming down through California you can get tourist rates all the way and it is much cheaper than I thought it would be. The rates I have are from here to Seattle and back but he said it would vary just a few cents the other way around. Your complete ticket, round trip with lower berth, is $143.52 including the tax. The train ticket is $109.60 and the berth is $16.96 each way. We’ll put a hundred dollars on your ticket and it certainly won’t cost you a cent while you are here. I want you to come for another reason now and that is that it will mean Pop is O.K.
It doesn’t look as though the army wants men as old as Elmer is right away so maybe he won’t have to go.
I stopped at the jeweler’s again this morning and he said to give him one more chance so I’ll wait until Saturday and if it isn’t finished yet I’ll send it out to you. Will also send yours.
We went on the picnic Sunday but it wasn’t at a very good place as it was by a river and there were several snakes running around. The last few days have been cloudy but awfully warm. I ordered Jimmie a wagon today through Sears. I know this one will work because I know two children who have one just like it and it has rubber tires. It cost 8 dollars and that old thing I bought at Christmas time just fell apart and it cost more than that I think.
I have to call Jimmie in for lunch so better stop but I hope you are well by now, Pop, and I’ll write more later.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading