Thursday, October 23, 2008

284 11/25/1936 Gladys Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Erwin
General Mills, Inc., Minneapolis, Minnesota
Wednesday, November 25, 1936
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
Well I suppose you are busy today getting ready for Thanksgiving. I can just see mother working in the kitchen making pies.
I have fared well. I was invited to 6 different places for dinner and have accepted two. They are as follows:
Della, Ad (to Princeton), Jensen's, Cully's, Woodfill's and Schnable's.
I thought it was nice of them all. Cully can't see why I won't go over to his place but I just couldn't possibly. Mrs. Schnable is having a 5 o'clock dinner. Mrs. Woodfill is having the Praulls and other relatives but wanted Helen and me too for a 1 o'clock dinner. I told her about my other invitations but she said to come anyway and that we could leave whenever we wanted to. I bought each Mrs. W. and Mrs. S. a box of nuts - 1 lb. Cully has a pass for me to the hockey game so Viola and I are both going. It will be at 8:30.
I went to see Minneapolis play Wichita last night with Cully. It was an awful rough game. Minneapolis played dirty and spoiled the whole thing. They had some real fights on the ice and several men were hurt. Everyone was disgusted and were glad that Minneapolis lost the game. I hope they do not play like that tomorrow night. I guess Minneapolis and St. Paul always do have some pretty wild games, though. They even use their sticks to check each other. Of course, in that case the players are taken out. Once last night 4 of them were penalized at once so it didn't leave very many to play - only 3 for each side beside the goalies.
We laughed when we read about Jim's dance. It must have been a scream. Wish we could have seen it too. When Jacobs come over do you play cards? I think it is nice once in a while as long as you enjoy it so much. Are you going over there for Thanksgiving dinner? I always did think she was swell. What is her husband like? Did you have a nice trip to Florence's. Did you get along O.K. driving?
I've been thinking about what I'd like to do for my future. I've practically decided definitely to not get married - at least not for a long time - and in that case I can see no need in staying here. I'd much rather be in the west near you folks. I have always wanted to take a trip east so if everything goes O.K. I will go on my vacation next summer. It wouldn't cost as much from here as it would from Seattle. Then I'd come back and work, get caught up and try to save a little until about November - a year from now. Then I will quit my job and go west via the Southern Route - coming up through California so I can see Muriel and Esther. I will then look for work in Seattle or Tacoma and feel sure I'd find something right away. How does that sound to you folks?
I told Ad that that is what I'd like to do and she said that sounded swell and that she thought she'd do the same. She really is crazy about it out there. Of course, what she does is up to her but I can't see why I shouldn't do that as soon as possible. My trip east might sound crazy but I know I'd enjoy it and can travel rather cheaply if I want to. I'd see Uncle Ben again, and Jeanette in Baltimore. I bet you'd like to go along.
Well, I'll let you know how we come out with our dinners and I hope you have a nice day too.
13ยบ above this morning with snow on the ground. It has been windy and cold, I hate to think about what it is going to be like.
I'm not terribly thrilled about Bill coming home for xmas. He says he might fly up. If he can afford that he surely must be making more than I know about. I think he is being sort of crazy. All I hope is he doesn't come for 2 weeks in one stretch. I have already told him that I can not afford to buy him a Christmas present. I do not intend to, either - unless it is something very, very small and inexpensive - not over $1.00.
Almost 4:30.
Love, Gladys.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading