Sunday, November 9, 2008

512 7/17/1943 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
401 Alexander, Monroe, Louisiana
Saturday, July 17, 1943
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I don’t have much to do today because I cleaned my house good yesterday and washed everything that was dirty and Jimmie didn’t wet any pants so I don’t have any washing to do for him. I’m going downtown after while so thought I would write a letter to you first so I can mail it then.
Jimmie had his second haircut the other day when Elmer did. He looked too scared to even cry but was much easier to handle this time because the first time he hollered and wouldn’t sit still. He has another jaw tooth now on the lower gum. What teeth are those. Are they the eye teeth. One is upper and the new one is lower. He has been having trouble with his bowels again. Everything he eats goes right through him but he hasn’t lost his breakfast this morning so I think he is getting over it now.
I had a nice letter from Jim yesterday. He said he and two other fellows had tied for the highest mark in class that week so I guess he is doing alright. I was afraid with all his running around he might fall down in his work but I guess I was wrong. It would be swell if he could get to go to that engineering school or stay and be an instructor. If he is an instructor he should have a pretty good chance of staying in this country.
Remember the last time I was home for Christmas Stella gave me a housecoat. I’ve worn it all this time but it finally wore out across the back so yesterday I cut it over and am making a housedress out of it with no back in it. It will be swell to wear around the house with no sleeves or back in it because it is so hot a person doesn’t feel like having very much on.
Last night Elmer and Jimmie and I went out to a hamburger place and ate. On the way home we passed this Mrs. Wilson’s house who stays with Jimmie sometimes and she was sitting out on the porch so we stopped to talk to her for a few minutes. As soon as Jimmie saw her he started crying and grabbed me because he was afraid we had gone to pick her up to stay with him. I should leave him more so he will get used to other people.
Yesterday Jimmie and I went out to see Louise, the Jew. Her brother was visiting her and he made me so mad I almost called him an old Jew. As soon as he knew I was from the North he said who won the Civil War. I didn’t even answer him and then he said you claim you won it but if you read the right history books you’ll know the South won. He is only 13 so I figured that was shy he talked and acted so dumb. He acted like that the whole time I was there and Louise got mad at him but he thought he was showing off so she couldn’t do anything with him.
I meant to tell you if Stella wears that white skirt any tell her not to put any starch in it. If she isn’t going to wear it though tell her to send it back because I can always use it too. I hope she does like it now though but I’ll send her another one I have if she doesn’t. One that isn’t linen. Well, Folks, I guess I better stop and get ready to go downtown.
Love, Helen
P.S. You better get after Glad and Stella to write to Jim. He says they don’t write.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading