Wednesday, December 3, 2008

273 9/30/1950 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Saturday, September 30, 1950
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
Your nice long letter came today and I will start one to you but have to leave pretty soon and pick Mary and Jimmy up as they are at the matinee. The Minnesota-Washington football game starts at four o'clock our time so I will get back just in time to listen to that. They just said over the radio that it is 20 degrees colder out there than it is here. It is really warm here today.
Jan had a pretty good demonstration I thought. She called Mrs. Reid, the practitioner, and she agreed to work for Ned during the operation. Just before the doctors operated they x-rayed Ned's head once again and found that he didn't have a brain tumor after all, although he did have a blood clot, which was remove very easily and Ned is just fine and will soon be back home.
I am disappointed that Glad and Cully aren't coming but maybe they will get here later on. I did think that Gladys was at home most of the time, now that they have so much help at the office. It probably doesn't hurt her girls any but she is the one who is missing out on so much by not being around them. They grow up so fast and before she knows it she won't have any children at home. I'll have to go on sticking up for her, however, because Mrs. D. would love it too much to have it the other way. She called me a few minutes ago but I was under the shower so will either call her back or wait until she calls again.
Mrs. Ellsworth called yesterday and I had a nice visit with her. I invited her over for lunch next Wednesday. Charity is in Japan now and Edward is right in the midst of the fighting so Charity is worried about him but otherwise loves it over there and has a lovely home to live in with Japanese servants and everything is made very easy for her. Her daughter, Mary, who was just 19 fell in love with a Lieutenant, who is 23 years old, on the boat on the way across. They are just sick about it as Mary plans to get married as soon as possible and her father is really mad. Mrs. Ellsworth is leaving for California the latter part of October with Fred. She will spend the winter there. She is feeling pretty good but had to change doctors as the one she had was killed in the plane that crashed in Lake Michigan.
I'm so glad Gary got his tricycle. Gosh I surely didn't realize his birthday was at this time. It was so much fun reading about how happy he was with his new tricycle that now I hope I have a boy.
Wednesday morning - your letter got mixed in with my bills to be mailed and I thought I had mailed your unfinished letter. Mrs. Ellsworth is coming over today for lunch. The ground is covered with frost this morning.
I'll hurry and stop now so Elmer can take this with him and get it mailed this morning.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading