Wednesday, November 12, 2008

524 1/12/1944 Gladys Dahlstrom to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Dahlstrom
Hotel Guyon, 4000 Washington Blvd, Chicago, Illinois
Wednesday, January 12, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I’ve neglected you again but have tried to get all my Christmas thank you letters written this week. Just finished the last one to Mabel.
Our boys won’t be home until Friday night. These two weeks have seemed ages. I keep busy with the two kids but miss Cully anyway. Tonight John Turk will be here. His train is in at 7:30 and he doesn’t get another to Sharon until morning. Vi wrote to tell me he’d like to stay with me. She knew Cully was out of town so I think it was sort of nervy. Now I have to send Ruthie down with Loretta Thoms and get one of the other girls to come up to sleep with me. I’m not going to take a chance on any scandal getting started.
Saturday morning Elizabeth will be here and I’m really looking forward to her visit. I think she will enjoy the game Sunday night too. She leaves Monday and then next week sometime Vi will be back and expects to spend 3 or 4 days with us. Kenney Midduets, one of the old club girls, also expects to visit me sometime this month. She now lives in Ohio.
Wish you could see our Jeannie. She really looks almost as big as Ruthie. Jeannie weighs 20# and Ruthie is just 30#. They have more and more fun together. Jeannie just squeals when Ruthie even gets near. Cully just can’t wait until summer so he can build the fence, move and fix the sandbox, make Ruthie a swing and other stuff as he says now he will have two helpers.
How we hope he can finish the season and get west for a while. He wants to finish his porch if nothing else.
Say – I often wonder how Cliffie Swain came out of his accident injury. I keep forgetting to ask you.
Being librarian is swell. You want to keep busy, they need you and at the same time it is nice you get a little for it. You won’t be quite so tied down anyway.
The Hawks continue to lose but gosh they are short of players so how can they help it. They have been using Cully on defense and on his regular line too. He has gotten lots and lots of work each game and gets pretty tired. He has done well though on defense and the report is out that they might leave him on the defense instead of center. Who knows and it really doesn’t make any difference to him I’m sure although he has never in his life played that position.
Will let you know about the stove order later when I ask Cully. It won’t be so terribly long before we will be back out there now.
Is Jim still at V_____? How far is that from Helen?
I went skating last night to the Arena with the Humberstones. The exercise is wonderful. Sunday I took Ruthie over to the park and she cried when we had to come home. She stands up and does real well. I couldn’t stay long though as I had Jeannie in the buggy.
Ruthie’s bracelet fits perfectly and she loves it. I only let her wear it when she is dressed up. I bought Jeannie one so they each have a bracelet and necklace now.
Enclosed are some more clippings and the note Beth sent with her Christmas card. I hurried and sent one to her but no note. It is hard to know what to do. I do not plan to call or see her though while in Minneapolis. It is too hard to get over there anyway.
Love, Gladys.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading