Sunday, November 23, 2008

618 6/15/1944 Albert Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Albert Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington
Thursday, June 15, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 1310, Knoxville, Tennessee

Dear Sadie,
Received your letter from Monroe, La. Was surprised to hear from you from there. You must have changed your travel plans.
It has been another cold rainy day. I certainly haven’t had to water your outside plants.
Tuesday evening I had supper at Guntson’s. Wednesday at Fran Jensen’s, and Thursday at Bensons and Friday at Erwin’s. I fixed up a big potato also a large onion in another pan. I have about half the spuds left for tomorrow evening. I ate all the onion and two hard boiled eggs. Also had bread and butter and tea and cookies; some feed.
I have written Gladys three times since they bought the house. That letter of hers that you mention must have been sent by regular mail.
It will be nice if you can return via Chicago. You could ask Gladys to try and get you reservations on the ___ from Chicago. I had quite a good day today and walked real fast from the shop to the parking lot, but I stiffen up on the way home and when I sit around at home but don’t worry about me at all. I feel that I am getting better but wish I could get better faster. This morning I thought I must have something in my shoe or sock. I took my shoe off after arrival at the shop and found I had a blister on my big toe, bottom of toe, almost between it and the next toe.
Some of the boys said that Dan, our lead man, told the shop foreman that he was through. We have been short-handed for two weeks and lots of work. Instead of giving us men they gave some of our flange work to another crew and that was supposed to be too much.
George Abramson was in the shop today. His legs are still weak so he isn’t coming to work now. He said he thought that he would go to Soap Lake for a while.
Mr. Fair quit today on doctor’s orders. He has been welding for two years and it’s supposed to have affected his lungs. He says that Sam Gross left about $34,000 but that must be the total of the estate. Anyway the Gross family has a very good lawyer and the 1st thing he did was to tie up all the cash in the banks so that his ex-wife can’t draw any of it.
Gee I am thirsty after eating all those onions but they certainly were good.
I brought Mrs. Guntson and Mrs. Jensen each a white hanky, 49¢. And Stella a $1.50 box of candy.
If you had been home to spray your roses you would have had many more but they have been fine. Harold has some beautiful ones.
Don’t forget to come home. I will be glad to see you any time.
Be sure to greet all the Carlson family for me. I just don’t get time to write to everyone. I expect your next letter will tell about the new home at Knoxville, Tenn.
I will buy my bond tomorrow morning and turn in my weekly withholding card.
Well it’s 8 o’clock. I will go down to mail this, won’t seal until I get down there.
Love to all, Pop
PS
Received a letter from Jim in India so had to come back home after letting Stella and Harold read it so that I could send it to you via air mail. I put the last sheet in this envelope so that the other wouldn’t be too heavy. Swell to hear from him. Good night all. Pop

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading