Tuesday, November 4, 2008

430 2/23/1942 Sadie Erwin to Helen Carlson

Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Monday, February 23, 1942
Helen Carlson
Box 582 Newburyport, Massachusetts

My dear Helen,
The mailman just came and brought us three nice letters. One from you, one from Gladys and one from Jimmie. I think it is swell our children write to us the way you all do.
It was a pleasant surprise to have a mail delivery today. The stores are all closed so expected the post office would be too.
We were at Prest’s Saturday evening for dinner. Mr. Prest asked about you. He always calls you his girl. We had a nice time, they had four other couples there too.
Yesterday Papa and I drove up to the cabin, stayed until 10 o’clock last night. It was snowing when we came out to come home. We met only one car all the way down. The trees looked beautiful and we took it slowly.
We are glad you like the Ducrets so very much. I know she will do all she can to help you when the baby comes. It is nice to have a good friend so near you. It is fun to have someone you can go to see and drink cocoa with.
Hope your Sunday dinner came out O.K. I am sure it did too. I know Mrs. Ducret appreciates it when you invite them and the children to a meal. I always thought it swell when people invited us when you children were small.
I wish I was near enough to run in and have coffee with you. Since Sandra came Stella doesn’t get over so often to drink coffee as she did before.
It is nice Mr. Blakeley has gotten storm doors for you. They really keep out a lot of cold. Do you mind having him come often to visit? He must like you folks and Ducrets.
Papa is using the pen. I am making terrible hard work out of this pencil too.
Stella has some kimonos to send you and I am making one from some new ___ that was left over from Ruthie’s. We will get them sent soon so you will know what you have to plan on.
If Elmer wins out on the name for the baby, tell him I think Bobby will be just as cute a name as Jimmie.
I will send the typewriter ribbon this week. Have no need of it now. You might as well have it if you can use it. You will not owe me a thing for it either.
Tell Elmer the cat that ate the turkey for us belonged to a neighbor. I do not think anyone of us likes cats.
Papa is ready to go down to mail this. Next letter I’ll tell you about a cat we did have when Gladys was little. I was wondering about your nice quilt just the other day.
Much love – Mother.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading