Monday, October 27, 2008

343 10/5/1938 Helen Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Helen Erwin
1912 Third Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minn.
Wednesday, October 05, 1938
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Mrs. Bush called last night when I was at school and Selma talked to her. She said Mr. Bush was getting better.
Eden and Wally got that house at 52nd and 28th Avenue. They are going to move the first of November. It is a nice house and I would have a room of my own but it is so darn far out. I am going to move with them, though, and if it is too inconvenient I won’t stay. One good thing, the car line runs right in front of the house and the house is on the corner so that part is nice. Wally will drive to work until it gets too cold. They will like having a house so much better than the apartment because they will have so much more room.
I called the man at the express depot the other night asking him about shipping the radio. He said if the radio wasn’t worth very much it would be foolish to pay for sending it out. It is over two dollars for ten pounds and almost three dollars from ten to twenty pounds. Now I will be glad to send it if you would be able to get it fixed up. Harold or Jim could probably monkey around with it until they figured out what to do with it. I could always fix it by tying string around certain tubes or putting magazines on the wire from the plug to the radio. I even had matches stuck in between some of the tubes. The radio is still out to Wally’s house and he is going to try and make a crate for it this week and I think I will send it anyway and Pop can probably tell what to do with it. It works good if you once get the knack of it. Usually every time it is turned on the tubes have to be shaken a little until they light up but if Jim has it he would have fun playing with it.
Eden and Wally have gone to the show tonight. They took the baby over to her mother’s house. Wally took them over there this morning before going to work. Elmer is over and is studying. I am going to do some typing for him. Gladys called tonight. She got the pictures of the baby and just can’t get over how darling she is. She said she has never seen such a cute baby. She didn’t bring my pictures in with her but is coming in tomorrow so will bring it over. I am so anxious to see it. I took those other pictures of ours in to be developed and also got a couple of enlargements. I might be able to get them tomorrow. I will send you the enlargements and I think you will be crazy about them. One is of the ocean and the other one is a scenery picture that Jimmie took with his camera.
Thursday Noon
I just finished eating lunch so will finish your letter and then study shorthand. Last night we stayed at the apartment until about 10 o’clock and then went out with Peach and Chuck for a little while.
Did Stella send Eden anything for her baby. She really should send some little thing because Eden sent Bernice a dress, wasn’t it. Well I had better stop now. I go to school again tonight so want to study a little. I’m glad Jim goes with Vivian again. I think it’s better that he doesn’t go with Jack.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading