Tuesday, November 25, 2008

24 7/27/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
Box 1310, Knoxville, Tennessee
Thursday, July 27, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Mary is sleeping and Jimmie just had a bath and will be going to bed pretty soon. There have been no wet beds this week and he hasn't even gotten up during the night and has wet very few pants so I believe he is getting better. My Sears order came today and I am so pleased with my bedspreads, also my two throw rugs. Elmer put Jimmie's swing up under the front porch. It is high enough for it so is a good place as it is shady there most of the day.
Last night I had Mr. Furner and Mr. Garutt [?] over for a spaghetti dinner. I also baked a cake and they thought everything tasted good. They loved the coffee, as I had gotten it too strong, but their being from Louisiana they like it that way and can't get it strong enough at the cafeteria here. Deans came over later so we had a nice evening. Some way or other the conversation got around to Christian Science. Mr. Turner is or used to be a Baptist Minister and is interested. Esther Dean is very interested in it and it is hard for me to answer her questions. She likes to read the Science and Health. I also found out that Lucia Hollister, one of the women I have been playing bridge with is a very good Scientist. We are playing at her house tomorrow so I am going to ask her to go to church with me Sunday.
Elmer said in this morning's paper there was an article by Goebbels telling about this invention in Germany that is completed except for a few more tests and when they start using it we won't have a chance. They think here that that is the same thing this plant is. I hope we can beat them before they start using it and by the way the Russians are going it looks like there is a good chance.
I bought you something today, Mom and will send it as soon as I get something for Pop too.
I am quite pleased with my living room floors now. I put two coats of liquid wax on them and then a coat of paste wax. They are much darker now and really look pretty nice. I think by waxing them about once a week it will make them look better all the time. Elmer is going to help me do the rest of the floors. We finally got all the furniture painted. I think that puzzle about the ruler is really good. I wonder who figured that out.
Did you have a nice visit with Lilly? I bet she really enjoyed being with you and getting away from home for a while.
So your cherries are ripe now. I guess you must feel pretty good, Pop, to do all you do. We will love the blackberry jam, Mom. I wrote to Jimmie night before last. I told him it was best to tell you things, no matter how dangerous, because you were working for him all the time. Clarence Pope is right there too so wouldn't it be strange if they bumped into each other. Clarence has been flying on missions over in China and said the same as Jim - that he probably wouldn't be able to write for a while. Those 27 inch shoe laces seem to be just right for both of our shoes. I sure am glad to have them.
Mary was really cute today. She laughed and talked all the time she was awake. She doesn't like to lie down when she is awake so I put the pillow in back of her in the basket so she can sit up. I don't ever rock her now and she goes to sleep so nicely. She certainly is a good baby.
Jimmie wants me to tell him some stories before he goes to bed so guess I better stop. I have to fix my hair too. Jimmie still talks about Meemaw. He wants to know when he can go and see you. I tell him I hope it won't belong.
Well goodnight Folks and more later.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading