Sunday, November 23, 2008

615 6/11/1944 Albert Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Albert Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington
Sunday, June 11, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 1310, Knoxville, Tennessee

Dear Sadie,
Well we have a change in the weather. Friday and Saturday were clear and very warm although there was a nice breeze both days. Last night I had two bedroom windows open also the one in the upstairs hall and the bathroom and had only the sheet over me until one o’clock. Today it feels good with a little fire in the heater. It is cloudy out.
Mrs. Carl Gentsen just called and invited me over for dinner Tuesday evening. Last night I ate at the Canteen, ordered pork sandwich and French fries. On the menu at 35¢. When the girl served it she made out the bill 35¢ for the sandwich and 15¢ for French fries. She said the cook said that was the correct charge. I said I would ask the boss. He was up front fixing the screen door. The girl asked him and he said the cook was wrong. The service was bum anyway. The girl didn’t give me a fork or spoon, I had to ask for them. I ordered black tea and she started the water and then asked me if I wanted anything to drink.
I got up at seven this morning. Had toast and soft-boiled eggs for breakfast, read the paper, shaved and bathed and went to church. I have walked real natural today and felt so swell after church that I decided to eat a sandwich downtown. I am having dinner with the Bensons.
I went to the Belmont on Franklins and had the best baked ham sandwich I have ever eaten. Had a few French fries, a slice of pickle, one olive and cup of coffee for 25¢. I then ordered another cup of coffee and a piece of pie, so you see I am spending money like everything. Vi Grass is working at Franklins.
The note from Mrs. Palome about signs for the church was meant for me, so she says.
I put $5.00 in the collection today. I have missed 4 Sundays since you left.
We should hear from Jim soon. Bill Gossard said that Hawthornes had heard from Ralph since the invasion.
I went to bed last night at 8 o’clock so I certainly had a good rest.
Stella made reservations at Lake Retreat yesterday for a cabin for the week of July 2nd. That is when Harold has his vacation. $18.00 for the week. They stopped there on their way home from Seattle. Stella got gas for the Seattle trip from the ration board and taking the children to the clinic. The kids checked out ok.
Well I will change clothes now and try and get a little work done. Will write more after a while.
Guess I won’t bank last Friday’s check. I had better hold it to buy a bond with.
I saw Mrs. Hegberg when I went over to Stella’s. She asked about you and said you were going to report to her on your arrival in the south. I gave her your Knoxville address and told her how busy you have been.
Stella had a sort of meat pie for dinner. It was very good. I wish you would mention in your next letter how nice it is that Stella is having me over for all those swell meals.
I have had a very good day and no doubt got more work done than if I had stayed home from church. I got the grass cut and trimmed. The front hedge except for a little on the sides and the inside. I loaded the clippings on Buck’s truck.

Well it is nearly 8:30. I will drive down and mail this letter and get to bed.
Love to all, Pop

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading