Saturday, November 29, 2008

114 7/30/1947 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
3409 Fremont Ave. South, Minneapolis 8, Minnesota
Wednesday, July 30, 1947
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
We just had lunch so I will write a few lines to you. I sure have some news to tell Bob when he comes home from work tonight. Dolores called this morning and said she had had a miscarriage. Now she is so afraid Bob won't go through with their marriage plans. Then her mother got on the phone and said she was going ahead and rent the hall for the big shower. I don't think Dolores ever was pregnant and her mother must have helped her think up all these things. It was after Bob told her he wasn't going to marry her that she told him she was going to have a baby and now she loses it just before they get married. I think Bob will go ahead and marry her because he is so good hearted and gets talked into anything. His father wants him to come here and live as soon as we leave but I told Bob not to listen to his father because if he and Dolores once move in here they will have a terrible time ever getting out. Bob doesn't want to live here either and he doesn't like the way his father tries to run everyone.
Elmer went to Mankato Tuesday morning and had to stay all night. He called last night from there and said if he didn't finish the surveying today he would have to stay tonight too. I felt sorry for him yesterday because it was just terribly hot out and he must have gotten awfully burned being out in the sun all day. Selma had Jimmy and Mary and me out for a cold supper last night. We stayed until about 7:30 and then came home and I put the kids to bed. Elmer had called while I was gone so I didn't get to talk to him.
I went out to see Nellie this morning. We have to talk Dolores over just like we girls talked about Ruth. Jim certainly got a much nicer girl than Bob is getting though. Anyway while out to Nellie's I looked at our house and the electricians were there wiring it and the heating men had been there yesterday and marked it all out for heating and that and the wiring will be finished this week.
The plumber hasn't shown up yet but was supposed to start in the first of this week. Elmer will have to call him when he gets back. When we came back we stopped at the lake for a while. It was wonderfully cool there and there were big waves on the lake. It is getting cloudy now so we will probably have a big storm. I am going to fix supper tonight as Nellie is having her mother come out this afternoon and stay for the evening. I wish she would have her father come out there to eat too.
Did I tell you I had a letter from Roma a couple of weeks ago. It was a very nice letter. She told me how wonderful you were mother and how much good it did her to have you with her. She said she is going to be with Elizabeth when the baby arrives, and she said she would probably get down to visit me when we got our house. You know when I wrote to her I told her I wanted her to come. What is Verna's address in Hamel again? That isn't far from here and I would like to see her soon.
This summer the city has been giving free x-rays to everyone and everyone was supposed to go and have their chest x-rayed for T.B. I refused to go but when the unit came in this neighborhood, up at the fire station, Elmer wanted me to go up with him so I did. It just took a couple of seconds to stand in front of the machine. Anyway today we got our cards saying we were o.k. I knew I didn't have it but they are finding lots of people who do have it.
Well Folks, Jimmy and Mary are fighting so I had better stop and settle it. I sure will be glad when Jimmy goes to school.
More later Folks.
With Love, Helen
P.S. Jimmy needs school as he gets so interested in everything and it is difficult for him to really do things all day at home with a little sister who wants to be with him all the time.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading