Wednesday, October 29, 2008

487 12/9/1938 Gladys Dahlstrom to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Dahlstrom
Hotel Guyon, 4000 Washington Blvd, Chicago, Illinois
Friday, December 09, 1938
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Another letter from Pop came today. He writes such a nice letter and I know it helps mother when she is busy.
Do the Boh's seem happy? I just can't imagine those two. The boys played a wonderful game of hockey in Boston, even tho they did lose 2-0. They are going good & sure hope they can beat Toronto Sat. night. They traded another player, Doc Romnes (a Chicago center for a Toronto center). Doc has played for the Hawks for 9 years. It was quite a shock. He refused to go ay first & was going to quit. In fact, he did & arrived here at the hotel this morning and he & his wife were packing to go home. They finally gave him $1,000 to go back, so he accepted. I bet his wife won't like Toronto, they are from Minnesota. We never know where or when the same will happen to us.
The streets here are decorated for Christmas but not quite so elaborately as in Mpls. The stores are swell tho. Marshall Fields has a big tree 50 ft. high. It extends from the 7th to 10th floors---up thru the middle of the store. It weighs 2,000 lbs. It has 1100 lights, 700 boxes of icicles, & 400 Christmas balls! It is a gorgeous thing! I wrote down these things about it because I thought it might interest you.
Tomorrow I'll mail your package. It is plenty early but as long as I have it readyI might as well. Better early than late. I also have Muriel's ready. I'm sending her hoes and each of the 3 girls a set of dishes I bought for 25 cents each in the dime store. They are cute & not breakable. They should have fun with them. I still have to get something for Grandma.
Some of the girls went ice skating tonight. I didn't get to bed until 2 am this morning because we played bridge so late, so decided to stay home & get some sleep tonight. I have to iron tomorrow. MaryAnn has a small washing machine. It sure is cute. I borrowed it yesterday. We carried it up & I washed in the bathroom. It has a little wringer & everything. It is only about 2 ft. high but is surprising how much you can get in it. She said I can use it whenever I want so will save up things & wash about once every 2
weeks. Of course I send all of Cullly's shirts out.
Cully will be home Sunday morning. The time has gone fast but I'll be glad to see him again. He'll be home this time until just before Christmas (the 23rd).
I'm going to write to Zelda tonight. I just finished a letter to Muriel. I should just keep going as long as I'm in the mood.
When are you going after your tree? Remember last year? I wish I could go along again. I'm so glad I spent last winter out there.
Goodnight & Love to all, Gladys

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading