Tuesday, November 25, 2008

39 9/19/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
382 Robertsville Road, Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Tuesday, September 19, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Yesterday the jam came and it looks beautiful. When I opened the box I saw some had leaked but in taking the jars out I found one smashed to little pieces. I can't understand it because you had them packed so good and there was a big fragile sticker on the box so it certainly got rough treatment.
However I think that is pretty good for the long distance it came and I can't thank you enough for it. Elmer and Jimmie and I just love it and it looks so nice in my pantry. That sure was a lot of work for you to do, Mom.
I had a long letter from Jim yesterday. He sounded so glad to get that package from you. Said it was the first package he had had and it was fun opening.
People are moving in around here thick and fast. Every place is taken along our line of houses and this afternoon someone came to look at the other half of our house but I don't know if it rented or not. The people are moving into the other half of Edith's house sometime this week. The Smythes (Edith) and us are the only Kellex people along here as far as I know.
Edith took me down to the garage to get the car today. I told you how the starter had to be fixed and a new battery. After I got in the car Edith went on to do what she had to do and I drove along and had Jimmie and Mary and the car stopped again and wouldn't start. I started walking to the cab station in town site and a soldier came along and picked me up and brought me there. I sure was glad. I took a cab back to the garage and the mechanic took me back to my car and pushed me back to the garage. He got the car started for me and I finally got home after having it stop twice on me. Each time the engine went dead I would coast up to one of the traffic cops who stand out in the middle of the road and he would stop a car and tell them to give me a push. Elmer is going to take the car down tomorrow night and try to find out what is wrong with it. The new battery doesn't seem to be any good. The things I ordered from N.Y. still haven't come so I'm going to write a card and ask why.
I'm glad you didn't get a cold, Mom, the night up at the cabin. Mary and I didn't get any either but I was up most of one night with Jimmie. He feels all right now but his nose still runs.
The postage on the jams cost you over three dollars and I would love to send it to you as it certainly is more than worth that to me.
I remember Charlie Wells. I sure hate to hear about the young boys being killed. I know Sandy will like Sunday School. Jimmie would like to go every day.
No, I have never been back to the town where Elmer met us. It was Kingston. I have only been off the reservation three times but there is really nothing to go for unless it is a ride on Sunday. I was up again last night with Jimmie until about 4 o'clock as he complained about a stomach ache. Am so sleepy now and more later.
Love, Helen
I was so pleased with the jam I almost didn't mention the other things. You should see Mary shake the rattle. She has it all the time. It is such a pretty one and so easy for her to hang on to. The little pants are wonderful. The only decent ones he has now. Thanks for everything.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading