Monday, October 27, 2008

330 6/24/1938 Gladys Dahlstrom to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Dahlstrom
Route 3, Wayzata, Minnesota
Friday, June 24, 1938
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
I wonder if you have written and we have not received your mail. So far there hasn’t been a thing. We will go to the Post Office in Wayzata tomorrow to see if there has been anything.
Viola came late Monday. We played cards for a while and then Johnnie left. I enjoyed her Tuesday and Wednesday but by Thursday I was getting fed up. John came out every night. We couldn’t enjoy them because they are so in love they have to just sit and look at each other and coo and mush around. I’m to be one of her attendants at the wedding on October 1. There will be Louise, John’s sister, and me. It will be fun anyway.
Last night we took Vi home. Cully played ball so I went to Della’s – took Helen along. A bunch of the girls from the office were there and surprised me. I received some lovely things, 4 beautiful and all different linen lunch sets, a Pyrex percolator from Helen, an apron, Pyrex frying pan, fiesta ware bowls, and baking dish, towels and wash cloths. Della had a lovely lunch too. I was supposed to pick Cully up at 10 but didn’t get there until 11:15. He didn’t care because it was with the fellows.
Tonight Marie and Bill are coming out to play cards and for the weekend we will have Eddie and Oakie. Clara and Vernie are coming out Tuesday night. We keep awfully busy with company. I imagine it will quiet down after a while. They are always anxious to come the first time to see the place.
We are having a nice electric storm at the present. It has been real hot and this will help cool things off so we are glad. Also our rain barrel was empty and we have wanted rain to fill it up.
I got your letter and card from Helen last night. Seems good to read what you are doing. I wrote a note to Zelda today. I know she has been waiting to hear from me.
I still get awfully homesick but try not to talk about it. If Cully is out on the road around Christmas time I will try to come out there for a couple of weeks. Otherwise I’ll be out in the spring for sure whether we stay all summer or not.
Next week I get my other ring. I’m really happy about it. It isn’t necessary but kind of nice to have. We will buy it from Wally Schatzlein. I talked to him last night. He has a car now. He said to tell you hello when I wrote. He seems like sort of a good kid even if we did get awfully mad at him.
I bought a pair of cute orange overalls and a pair of navy blue shorts and halter top. They are nice for hot days out to the lake. I’ll wear the overalls when I go fishing.
We took Viola out Tuesday night. She had a good time because we all caught lots of fish – real good ones too. I sure wish you folks could come to visit us. We would show you a wonderful time.
Must close and get to work. Hope to her from you soon, unless you’d rather keep writing to Helen. I’ll always go in Thursday and will see her and perhaps more often.
I’m going in and spend a whole day with Woodfills soon.
Love, Gladys
Has Jim found his parka. I bought some pinning blankets for Stella. Helen will get something too and send the packages.
Saturday
Received your letter. From now on they will be put in our box right in front of the house. It seemed awfully good to hear from you.
I’m so glad Jim is getting in some work. He is sincere and should never have any trouble keeping his jobs.
I’ll write the first of the week and tell you all about our trip – day by day and will get pictures developed real soon. Our company keeps me from doing lots of things like that.
I feel great and have gained over 5 lbs since I’ve come back. I’m afraid now I’ll get too heavy.
Tell Aunt Lilly hello for me.
Love, Gladys

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading