Thursday, December 4, 2008

223 7/3/1951 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Tuesday, July 03, 1951
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
I just wrote a letter to Elmer so will get one off to you now. It is a rainy day but looks as though it will clear up later on. Last night I had the sewing club over, which includes Mayme Prall and that group. I always enjoy all of them so much. I had made a gelatin salad, with chicken and celery and other things in it and it didn't set for some reason or other. We couldn't eat it so ate the hot rolls and potato chips. Luckily I also had some brownies so at least I had a little something to go with the coffee. I wrote to Elmer last week and asked him what he thought about our coming out before the house is sold as his Dad will take care of things here. Yesterday I received his letter and he said it would be imposing too much on all of you if we came now so I decided I might just as well sit around here and maybe the house will sell one of these days. I had signed exclusive for two weeks with a Mr. Kleckner but he didn't bring a single person around. His time is up now and I am not signing with him again. Mr. Carlson came over with his real estate agent so I probably will give the house to him.
I have been working hard around the house. Washing walls and things like that. Over the weekend I laid rubber tile in the hallway by the bathroom and bedrooms. It looks awfully nice and I'm quite pleased with my job. Yesterday I took eight kids over to the Ford plant. In this gang of eight kids, they are all brothers and sisters. The four girls each have a brother two years older. We all enjoyed seeing how the Fords are made.
Tomorrow is the 4th of July and I'm going on a picnic with the Carlson bunch. The kids will enjoy it and I will too. I hope the day is nice but the weather report is for more rain. We certainly have been having a lot of that.
Jimmy has to go to the dentist today as he fell over his bike and broke half his front tooth off. I don't know what Vernie is going to do with it.
I'm planning on moving my refrigerator, stove and washing machine out. They will go for 18 dollars, 15 dollars and 15 dollars, respectively. To sell them I have to take too much of a loss on them and those three items are new and in perfect condition. The only thing is, I don't know if I will be able to use a gas stove in Bellevue. I wonder if they have bottled gas if not natural gas. Elmer doesn't remember to tell me that when he writes.
My old car is still getting me around. I had it in the garage one day last week but all that was the matter was a short in the battery so it was a small job. I had a flat tire Sunday and went out and started to change the tire but Pearce came over and fixed it for me. He got the spare on only to find it had no air in it so he had to do a lot of running around for me but he is very willing to help out.
Mrs. Bruff, the practitioner here who worked for Davy, didn't send me a bill so I called her and she said she didn't want me to pay her anything since things turned out as they did. I told her I knew she worked hard and I wanted to pay her so she finally agreed to send me a statement and she did and charged me twenty dollars for over a month's work. I thought that was very reasonable. I owe you for Grace and a million other things but am going to get you paid up when the house is sold and I get out there.
I suppose you are all working as hard as ever. The 4th will be a busy day for you. I hope you are all fine and I will write again later.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading