Tuesday, December 2, 2008

177 7/30/1948 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Friday, July 30, 1948
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
Your nice letter came yesterday. How is Ruth feeling now? I want to get a letter written to her today. Jim certainly was a lucky boy to get out of that terrible accident alive. It sounds just awful. I don't see how he was able to continue his trip because he must have been plenty shaky after all that. It is just wonderful that he was able to get a new car. I know he must be very happy over that. Did he get another Ford or what and is it a sedan or coupe. Was his radio damaged and did he keep it when he turned his car in? Is there much difference in the 1948 models and the 1947. I know it must be a beautiful car.
Carlsons expect to be in their house in at least a couple of months. Material has eased up since we built our house. They don't have to wait for the plumber or plasterer like we did. I like our house but would love to sell it and get in another neighborhood even if I can't get out of Minneapolis. I really don't mind Grandma Carlson but I still can't stand the sight of the other one. Nellie sure hates to have them live right by us too. She is more worried about what her mother might do though than anything. I have seen Florence a couple of times lately when she has been over to Nellie's. I didn't jump on her about anything or mention anything. It wouldn't do a bit of good because she just doesn't have a bit of sense. When I see her I'll act decent but we'll never go over there or have anything to do with her. We still haven't seen anything of Bob and Dolores and I'm sure we will never have anything to do with them.
I just don't see how Gladys does all she does. She has so much company and has so much work to do. You folks surely are as busy as can be too. You have so much business for the three of you that you don't have any spare time either.
Wednesday afternoon I took the children down to Loring Park. I think that is the best park in Minneapolis. They had a wonderful time feeding the ducks and swans. There is also a nice pool there that I like to take them to now that the lake water is so dirty. The pool has fresh water running into it all the time and it is a park pool so doesn't cost anything.
Next Friday night I'm inviting Agnes and her husband over for dinner. I hope they will be able to come. I really don't know yet what to tell the relatives about Stella and Harold being here. Guess I'll have to blame Sandy's mumps for our not getting around. I wish the kids could come back now and we would get started early in the morning and get a lot more done. It really was so awfully hot when they were here that it did take all the pep out of us.
We had a terrible storm last night. I really thought we were having a cyclone for sure. It rained so hard too but it is a nice day today. More like a fall day. There must have been a cyclone some place though.
Well Folks, I had better stop and fix the kids some lunch and then we plan to go to the library and get some books. I hope you are fine and I hope Ruth is feeling good now.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading