Sunday, November 23, 2008

620 6/21/1944 Sadie Erwin to Albert Erwin

Sadie Erwin
Cincinnati, Ohio
Wednesday, June 21, 1944
Albert Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Albert,
I have had a good breakfast, and still have an hour and a half to wait for my train to Chicago.
Talk about Kansas City depot being big. This is bigger and nicer. Our train was in on time – 8:35 A.M. eastern time, only I did not set my watch back because I’d have to change it again before reaching Chicago.
The folks took me into Knoxville last night. Elmer checked my trunk, then sat in the car with the baby while Helen and Jimmie went into the depot with me. My sleeping car was not brought down to the station until 10. I got on and went to bed. Didn’t sleep though until long after we left Knoxville long after midnight.
Helen hated to see me go. Hope we both can come to see her before so many years pass by. She wants Stella to go this summer if possible.
I wakened early and looked out of the train. It is lovely country through Kentucky, also this far in Ohio. I met a lady in the dressing room this morning from Oak Ridge. She works in the bank there, so it was something in common for us to talk about.
I’ll have just 7 hours to ride from here to Chicago. Cully will meet me. I’ll write to you from there. I got your letter and the one from Jimmie last night. It is a comfort to read his letter. He still looks on the bright side of life.
With love, Sadie

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading