Saturday, October 25, 2008

304 1/21/1937 Gladys Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Erwin
4207 Grand Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Thursday, January 21, 1937
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
Another rather slack day so I should be able to write a letter.
Irma and I only bowled one game last night because so many girls played we had to wait and then our time was short. All I could do was 99. Irma bowled 96. It was close. We ate at a small cafĂ© on our way and had the best wheat cakes and coffee I’ve ever tasted. All for 15¢ and we were almost too full.
We went to the skating party at the Arena and had a real nice time. I got along pretty good and didn’t fall down. Afterwards we went to Nellie Steven’s on 26th and Nicollet and had barbecued spareribs, toast, salad and coffee – gosh it was swell. No wonder I get fat.
This noon Cully came down and took me to lunch. We ate at a cute place on Hennepin Avenue and again I stuffed myself. I am going to the game tonight. It should be a good one. The Minneapolis team was rotten for a while but now they have won 7 straight games and I think it will be hard for St. Paul to beat them. Cully played Wichita last night and got the puck in the eye. It is all black and swollen shut. It looks terrible but doesn’t hurt him much. I don’t know if he can see to play tonight or not.
It is 7 below zero and the wind howling. It seems like 50 below. I get my fur coat tomorrow after work. I surely do need it. I wear wool dresses all the time and a sweater under my coat. Helen and I both wear those wool snuggles every day. They feel plenty good. The real cold days we wear extra stocking too. Those same old light wool ones. Helen isn’t nearly as afraid to dress warm as she used to be and I am certainly glad of it. She puts them on on her own accord.
No letter the last 2 days, but there will be something tonight for us, I am sure.
Adelyn is still home. It is getting serious I guess. At least she wants to hurry and go and get it over with. She feels wonderful and is full of ambition. She works awful hard and enjoys it. She manages to do a lot of baking besides the regular housework. It helps her to forget herself too.
Do you ever hear from Hazel in Seattle?
Stella, how does Corinne like it in California. Does she get very lonesome?
More tomorrow.
Love, Gladys

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading