Wednesday, October 29, 2008

375 12/28/1938 Sadie Erwin to Helen Erwin

Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Wednesday, December 28, 1938
Helen Erwin
5201 28th Ave South, Minneapolis, Minnesota

My dear Helen,
Papa and I just got home from church. It is a nice night out. Rains some, then clears off. Jimmie took us to church but we walked home. He has gone to the party at Vivian’s.
The Schweigle family is coming tomorrow night for dinner. We will play games afterwards.
Jimmie went out to Gassard’s this morning and worked about an hour and a half. Got 50¢. Took it and bought Jack a birthday gift. Jack was 16 today.
I took Stella her package from Jeanette today. It was three nice crochet pot holders.
You will always like fat little boys like Jimmie used to be. If they are plump little boys you need not feel sorry for them for they are well cared for, even if poorly dressed. I know how you feel, though, for it used to bother me so when we returned to Minneapolis to see little children on the streets in tennis shoes in the winter time. I wanted to cry.
I have not seen anything more in our papers about the Laura Kruse case. Have you seen anything about it in your paper?
Papa is asleep so guess I’ll send him to bed. That is a lovely skirt and stockings you sent me. I had only one good pair and those were the ones you sent for my birthday.
Jimmie wears his new sweater tonight. He has some nice black trousers so looked real swell. He likes clothes.
We let Papa off at church at 7:30 then Jim took me around town to see the Christmas lights. Don’t believe I have ever seen the town so decorated before. Trees out in yards – around doorways. Wreathes in windows as well as streets. With it all the grass is green and it rains.
I’ll not be able to write tomorrow night but will Friday night. Hope you have a good time over New Year’s.
Much love, Mother.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading