Saturday, October 25, 2008

307 1/25/1937 Gladys Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Erwin
Sears, Roebuck And Co., Minneapolis, Minnesota
Monday, January 25, 1937
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
Will start this now and finish it later.
We went on our sleigh-ride Saturday night and had almost too much fun. We got all tired out. It was plenty cold so we spent most of our time walking or running behind the sleigh.
Yesterday afternoon Cully, his little brother and I went out to Bush Lake to watch the ski jumpers. This is Winter Sports Week. There is loads of snow so they do not have to have it in this year. We saw some wonderful jumping. The furthest one was 191 ft. I went to the game last night and saw Tulsa beat St. Paul 3-2. It wasn’t a very good game.
Adelyn and baby are doing well. Helen and I are going down to see them tomorrow. The baby will be Ralph Thomas. He has black curly hair. I guess he is pretty cute – except they had to use instruments and he has a few cuts on his face. Wally said the Dr. assured him they wouldn’t scar. One of his little eyes is still swollen shut.
I bought Adelyn a house dress for $1.15 and had it sent out to the hospital. I though that would be better than something for the baby because she has so much for him.
January 26, 1937 Tuesday
I didn’t get this finished yesterday so will add a little more now and get it on the way.
We all helped get the dinner last night and then left to go to the hospital. Adelyn seems cheerful and says she feels fine but I didn’t think she looked so good. The baby will be cute when its little face is healed and his head is put in better shape. Adelyn is anxious to get home and take care of him herself. Helen and I stayed only a few minutes so took the street car home. It was 13 below zero. We washed and wiped the dishes and went to bed. Tonight we are going over to Adelyn’s mother’s for dinner. They live on Bryant Ave. – so afterwards I am going out to Jensen’s to play cards. I’m glad I won’t have to transfer. I suppose we will listen to the hockey game too. St. Paul plays Kansas City. Cully leaves this Friday again for the South. He will be gone for about 10 days. Just in time to get out of helping us move. Elmer, Chuck and Jimmie will help, though, so I guess that will be enough. Della is going over with me Sat. to help wash off the shelves and drawers and put paper in. That will be a big help. Did I tell you how she is buying the studio couch and big chair stool for us to use. She will take it then when she gets married. I believe I told you that I can get it for less than wholesale price through Cully’s friend that plays hockey with him. Della is tickled to get such a bargain and Helen and I will be happy to be able to use it.
I meant to mention Aunt Annie’s letter. I’m glad Verna is better. 117# is fine. I was surprised to hear about Ruth. I didn’t get to talk to Agnes long enough to hear all the news. She got a ring from Fred for Xmas though.
If Jensens go west they will take the train and go up through Canada like Ad and I did.
Who is Jim’s girl? We are anxious to hear.
Bill doesn’t say much about Cully although he knows I see him all the time. Hockey season lasts up until April, I believe. Yes, he can work for B. J. Nelson’s as soon as he is through. He gets $100 a month from them during the summer months. He wants to look for a better job this year though – something that can promise him a future and if he lands anything he will quit hockey. I think that would be a good idea.
I don’t know just when Helen and Ed plan to be married but I think it will be this spring.
I can’t imagine you picking daffodils next month but I know it is true.
I called Mrs. Woodfill this noon and had a nice visit with her. I told her we were moving and wanted them to come over as soon as we are settled. She thought it all sounds nice. Billie, their dog, was run over – killed just before Christmas. They have another pup now that barks all the time. I guess he has just discovered he could.
I will try to call Mrs. Ellsworth tomorrow.
I also called the lady that has my dining room furniture to tell her the boys would be after it. I’ve got to go down to see about having the gas and light connected, too. There are so many things to take care of. I’m going to try to get it put in Pop’s name so I won’t have to make a deposit. If we ever put in a phone it will be in his name too and we will try to get our French phone back without paying extra.
Well it is 4:30 so time to go home. I will mail this and try to write more tomorrow.
Love, Gladys

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading