Wednesday, November 12, 2008

532 1/25/1944 Gladys Dahlstrom to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Dahlstrom
Hotel Guyon, 4000 Washington Blvd, Chicago, Illinois
Tuesday, January 25, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Your nice long letter came a few days ago. We certainly do enjoy your letters.
Did Harold butcher? And what did they do with our meat. I hope by now we have a locker or that they were able to take care of most of it and if there was any left over I hope you folks got it.
Guess I told you all about Elizabeth. Anyway she left here a week ago yesterday and I haven’t heard a word from her. Maybe she didn’t have a good time after all. Yes, she is a pretty girl and a smart one. I think her whole trouble is that she feels a little too good and thereby discourages the fellows.
I had a nice letter from Jim and answered it the same day. He expected to be sent someplace soon for overseas training. Seemed to think it would be the west coast and then the Pacific. Cully said if they thought that – they probably would go the other way.
Wish you could see how Jeannie gets around. She is some baby. She loves Cully and says daddy all day long. I didn’t have one single wet diaper yesterday and none so far today. She doesn’t even wet during her nap. I find my washing so much easier.
Ella Smith of the club expects her baby the same time I did last year and she is going home to Vancouver soon. We girls are having a shower for her at my apartment next Saturday night. The boys will be in Toronto. Phil Allen is next. We will have a shower for her the first week in February while the boys are away.
The girl who gave me the baby basket is expecting again. I do not know when but must find out. You know they are in Bremerton and she may want it. I still haven’t heard from Dorothy and I do hope she doesn’t want it. If she does it is okay because I just won’t write to Betty. I’m not supposed to know about her anyway.
Glad to hear about Beth (Mrs. Tanner’s daughter). Won’t promise her the buggy but if Helen doesn’t want it I may let her use it. I think as much good as possible ought to be gotten out of all those things. There seem to be lots and lots of babies on the way.
Cully says in a couple of years our girls will be the same size and we can dress them like twins.
Friday was a nice day and the boys arrived home about 8 o’clock in the morning. After breakfast we decided to hike over to one of the big Sears stores. I bought material for the porch drapes and Cully bought a gasoline lantern. He looks at it every chance he gets. It is made by the same company as our good one out there so it should be alright. All we talk about is getting home.
If Cully is still here at the end of the season we plan to buy a car and drive west. We could always sell the car when we got there.
The boys beat Toronto here last game 3-5. It sure was a dandy game and if they can only keep going everything will be fine. The Major has been real sick for sometime and at times he hasn’t been given much chance to live. It is terrible but I’ve heard many say they hope he doesn’t. We do not feel that way because he has always been good to Cully.
Ralph quit his job at the Minneapolis Moline and hopes to get some other work (away from home) – he says maybe for the railroad. Anyway I hope he does not come here first and I also hope he does not go west to work and plan to live with us. I really think that is what he has in mind.
I’m enclosing pictures taken while Wally was home. You can put them in with my hockey stuff. Also I’m enclosing an editorial that Cully wanted me to read – thought you might like to too. I’m also sending some gas coupons that you might find use for. We can get as many as we want if we drive home. Cully has his book here and helps the boys out some and then rides with them to practice. Earl and Virg both have their cars here.
Must close and fix my girls some lunch.
It rained yesterday and again this morning. Cully thought it was wonderful and says he guesses the west has won him over for sure when he can like rain. More soon.
Love, Gladys

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading