Wednesday, December 3, 2008

232 7/1/1949 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Friday, July 01, 1949
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Friday Evening
Dear Folks:
I will hurry and write a few lines as a letter came from you this afternoon. I wonder if you have missed a letter of mine because I know I have written telling about Jan coming back. She got back the Saturday before Easter and I was so glad to have them gone Sunday. Didn't I tell you how they come over all the time now? The father called me yesterday and wanted to know if Jan was back as he hadn't heard anything.
Tonight Mayme Praull, Roberta, Joyce, Frances, Gerry Woodfill and Leila are coming over, also Betty Praull. I won't say anything about Hazel unless they ask but you know more about it than they do. It is hard to believe that Hazel is in such a condition.
Mrs. Ellsworth called me this afternoon so I'm going over to get her next Wednesday and we'll either come back here or go for a ride or something. She doesn't have any plans yet about when she will go although Charity wants her.
We had election of officers for our Women's Club last night and I was made treasurer. Now I'm also joining the League of Women Voters. That's a good organization for me to join as I don't keep up on the world news as I should and now I'll have to.
Roberta Praull's husband is still out in Seattle and I talked to her today. She had just gotten a letter from him saying more earthquakes are expected. I think you had all better pack up and move back here.
Saturday Afternoon
Dear Folks:
I will start all over now and finish my letter. We had a nice time last night and Ralph and Don Praull came over later for coffee and cake. Frances got here first and we talked about Hazel. Frances said the GG club stands for the Goofy Gertie club and you can't be a member of it until you do something real goofy. She said Hazel has been raving about that club for sometime now. Frances said when Speck was sick in bed the last time Hazel was here and Speck asked them all to keep Hazel away from her because she just couldn't stand her constant blabbering so Hazel may have been coming on with this for sometime as Frances said Hazel said and did the funniest things when she was here last but when Mayme was out there last year she didn't notice anything unusual about Hazel. No one has written them anything about Hazel and they wouldn't have known much about anything if Roberta hadn't been out there and seen how she was.
Thanks very, very much for the birthday presents. The kids have never been so pleased over a package as they were this one. All those balloons looked like a million dollars to them and we all like our combs and Jimmy is crazy about the pencil. It was a wonderful package to send. The sweater is just darling and fits Mary perfectly. I wouldn't have told you it didn't fit Jimmy but he is so anxious for you to see him now because he says you won't believe it when you see how big he is. All his clothes are size 10 now.
We are having a summer day out today. I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow as we have planned a picnic with the Ducrets out at Excelsior but the radio says rain.
Thanks for the clippings of the earthquake. Roberta Praull was in a movie with her little boy when it happened and of course scared to death. When the quake ended she went to the ticket window and asked for her money back.
Kenny and Johnny were out there but after the earthquake. Johnny called me yesterday and they had seen Gladys and Cully and Betty and Andy. Johnny had written to Betty before leaving Minneapolis asking if they would be able to see them last Saturday night and Betty wrote right back extending her wishes that they spend the weekend with them. Kenny and Johnny got to Betty's house Saturday afternoon and left Sunday and they didn't get one single bite to eat in Betty's house. After being there all Saturday afternoon they all finally left around seven o'clock for downtown and there was no mention of food so finally they stopped in some Chinese place for something to eat.
Yes Russ Fernstrom has diabetes and is terribly thin and old-looking but otherwise leads a normal life. He has to give himself these hypo shots several times a day for insulin but he goes on fishing trips and does everything and he works awfully hard and seems to be getting along pretty good. My paper just caught in the typewriter and tore.
Mary doesn't seem to have so many bruises now and I haven't done anything about it. It seems like you, mother, used to bruise awfully easily too. Right now I want to thank you for the Easter cards but I'm sure I did that in my other letter. You shouldn't feel bad about Jimmy's present being sent late. I still haven't sent Gladys a baby present and that really is awful. First I waited for Mabel as she wanted to go in on something with me. Then we decided to get our separate things and I have just neglected doing it.
Your car will be in good shape now. Hope you won't have any more trouble with it. You will have a big garage bill.
Well Folks, I had better stop and get some supper. I hope everything is fine with you all.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading