Tuesday, November 25, 2008

626 6/25/1944 Helen Carlson to Albert Erwin

Helen Carlson
Box 1310, Knoxville, Tennessee
Sunday, June 25, 1944
Albert Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Pop,
You certainly have been neglected by me but it wasn’t because I didn’t think about you. Jimmie and the baby and getting settled have really been keeping me busy but now things seem to be settling down to an easier routine. A letter from you came for Mother after she left and I sent it to her in Chicago. I bet you have missed her like everything and I know you will be glad when she gets back. After she left me I missed her so much I didn’t even like it here. It still seems like she should just be in the other room and Jimmie talks about her all the time. I think Mother looks wonderful. I hope the next time she comes to see me I can spend the whole time just entertaining her. I hope you can come too.
Last night we drove into Knoxville to stock up on canned foods as they are cheaper there. When we got back to the gates at the reservation the guards inspected our car but all they found was two sleeping children and a bunch of groceries. They don’t always search the car but you never know when they are going to. Cameras, liquor and guns aren’t allowed inside the reservation. When we first came here they took my camera but I can get it now by going to the police station and signing some papers and swear I won’t take pictures of the job.
Pop, I’m sending you five dollars for a Father’s Day present. I wish I could have sent it on time but I just didn’t get much done then.
Tonight Jimmie and Elmer went out in back of our place and picked a pan of blackberries. Jimmie has no one to play with so far so gets pretty bored during the day but there are still many vacant houses so I keep hoping some one will move in near us with children.
There is a 15 year-old girl just a few houses from us who likes to take care of children in order to have something to do and to get a little extra money so I had her stay with Mary Saturday morning while I went shopping. We very seldom will have occasion to even want to go off the reservation as it has every kind of a store here and theaters and churches. There is a C. S. church here too and when I find out where it is I am going.
I certainly hope you are feeling good. I think you did a pretty big thing when you stayed alone and went to work feeling like you did.
Well Pop, I still have to do the supper dishes so better get busy and then I’m going to bed. I’ll write more soon and goodnight for now.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading