Wednesday, November 26, 2008

653 7/31/1945 Jim Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Jim Erwin
497th Service Sqdn. 44th Service Group, APO 487, NY
Tuesday, July 31, 1945
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Will answer the two nice letters I’ve received from you.
I’ve been to Calcutta twice since you last heard from me.
I flew down the 18th to pick up a piano the Group had. The plane made a crash landing which scared me plenty. The left wheel went up just as we touched the runway. We slid in on the left wing and belly. The plane didn’t catch on fire nor was anyone badly injured. We were supposed to return to Dinjan Thursday but had to wait until Sunday for the next plane to come down.
Mrs. Johnson, the English woman at the Red Cross, let me stay there. Would have had to stay in a tent at the transient area otherwise.
I had my Ronson lighter chromium plated and initials engraved on it. Looks like a shiny new lighter now.
I found a place where they sold fresh milk and really drank a lot of it.
I came back Sunday the 22nd July. Stayed a couple of days and flew down again Wednesday The plane made it okay. The left engine coughed once just after taking off which scared me again but kept on going.
Mrs. Johnson let me in the ARC again and also the two boys with me. She is really swell. had me out to her apartment for dinner twice. Her husband is a major in the British Army and is stationed in Calcutta. next time I’m down, he is going to get me a couple bottles of Heinz catsup. I’ll sure be glad to get that.
I took two lighters for the fellows to be plated. They came out very nice.
I didn’t do too well in the table tennis tournament. First big tournament I’ve beenin and didn’t do my best. It all adds up to experience though.
Drank a lot more milk which was worth the trip alone.
Ordered some bar books for the club to be made. They wil be ready in a couple of weeks. Imagine I’ll be going down again. I’ve really been very lucky in getting all these trips. Chris Dariotis has several places in which I could transfer to. Will have to wait several months to get into his office. Think I’ll wait for that. The war might even be over by then.
The working hours are going to be changed again. Starting tomorrow, they will be from 7 am to 4 pm. Starting at 5:30 was a little too early.
A new Red Cross girl just arrived from the states. She is 24, dark and very pretty. her name is Peggy. Everybody is giving her the rush but think I’m in better than anyone else. pretty good huh. It has been raining hard every day. Our tent is waterproofed and doesn’t leak. One of the few that doesn’t.
While down in Calcutta, was able to buy an electric fan. A real luxury. Cost quite a bit but well worth it. Haven’t any more paper here so will stop now.
Went over to the tent and picked up another tablet.
A letter from Bernice Stangler was waiting for me when I got back. She has joined the Marines. I know she has wanted to get into the service for a long time. She might be sorry. Ruth Morgan is certainly sick of being in the W.A.C.
Sorry to see that you’re still putting so much time in at the reading room Mother. it’s just like last year. If you’re elected again you’ll probably accept. Think you’re too easy going.
A box came from you and also another package of Kool-Aid. Thanks very much. The mayonnaise is really wonderful. The jam and olives were perfect too.
I’m glad you have more things too. I’ll request a package with every letter. Just send things as often as you have them. Thanks again.
Thanks for stopping the Courier Herald. I’ll write and thank Clarence. It does really take too long for it to reach me coming 3rd class mail.
The funny papers are still arriving okay. Really enjoy them.
Jimmie Thompson is liable to be in Europe for some time. The men in the occupation will probably rotate though. Jim must enjoy playing in the band.
Glad to hear Jack Woodruff is getting home for a while. Don’t imagine he is too happy about his wife joining the W.A.C. I know I wouldn’t like it.
Sorry to hear that Ma Jones has passed away. She was a wonderful woman and had many friends.
Bud doesn’t write very often but imagine his folks are really happy to receive each letter. He has been through an awful lot and has been protected. Hope Kenny comes through safe.
The rate we’re bombing Japan, the war could end anytime. It would take at least six months for us to get home anyway. Should be home next year in any case.
The General showed up on the Fourth for about ten minutes. Just breezed through. A real waste of time.
Bernice’s picture is lovely. I might send it to you but you will have to return it immediately.
The India problem is truly a mess. The British are doing a poor job and being heavily criticized for it. They should either rule it well or drop it altogether. Something is going to have to be done, that’s for sure.
The news we get on the teletype keeps telling us of the terrific forest fires in Washington and Oregon. Hope it rains or is stopped soon.
Mrs. Collins is very funny. She should let Betty alone.
Warren’s girl must be very serious if she has been to visit Mrs. Jensen. Warren will probably finish college but wouldn’t doubt that he’ll get married too. A married man receives $85.00 a month for board and room. That will help quite a bit. I don’t intend to though. A single man receives $60.00. Think I can just about make it on that. How much did it cost me to live after leaving the fraternity house?
Your last letter arrived in eight days. Every now and then, one comes through in a hurry. The postal inspector said recently that all our mail will be coming over faster. Hope so. Your trip to Portland was nice and know you enjoyed it besides getting a lot of good from it. Was nice that Dad could go along and that you could take the car. It’s been a long time since you’ve both seen Uncle Carl and Aunt Hilda. That was swell too.
Yes, the color pins did arrive. Thank you. Didn’t understand what you meant by jabits.
So far, I have received the following things you listed as sent. Box – May 9th, Onion Salt – May 25th, Kool-Aid – June 20th. Just received the Kool-Aid, might have been the package you sent in July. Have used the other.
APO 433 is just a little north of Calcutta. It’s in the same area that Henry De Jong was stationed. John Boardson is stationed in Calcutta but didn’t look him up. Saw his name in the State register in the Red Cross.
Imagine Henry is happy to be home and don’t doubt that he doesn’t care to return. Don’t think I’ll have an urge either.
Received Dad’s written while in Portland. I’m always happy to hear from him. Know he is always busy and plenty tired.
Sorry to hear about that flat tire Dad. Glad the tire wasn’t ruined though. Is the car still holding up okay. I’ll certainly be happy to drive it once again.
Hope that Grandma Erwin is improving after her fall. The folks had better take good care of her.
Hope that you’ll be able to buy the electric range and oil heater after the war. It will certainly save a lot of work. Both with handling wood and dusting.
Your garden sounds nice. Maybe your beets, carrots and lettuce are doing better now.
Stella must have received quite a blow from the piece of wood that hit her. Bet she took a ribbing about that.
Yes, the Army is to lower the points on discharges. The drop will be small and will come a long way from affecting me in the least. Rotation will have to come back in effect or the war end before I’ll get home. Still think and hope that we should be home this time next year.
Your letters coming to me are not censored. My and all others leaving are. (Suppose to at least.) I’ll let you in on something though when I get home. Letters are censored by the squadron adjutants or other officers. Letters are sometimes spot checked by the base censor. I’ll let you know some day what the deal is.
We’re starting many new classes and the fellows have really been turning out for them. We have one of the largest programs in the theater. I still don’t like this Captain Dibala and hope one of us leaves soon. He has been in India over two years and has enough points for discharge so hope he leaves soon. Things would be okay then.
I really got behind in my letter writing while on these two trips. Will have plenty to do now to catch up.
With love, Jim

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading