Sunday, November 9, 2008

488 5/5/1943 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
401 Alexander, Monroe, Louisiana
Wednesday, May 05, 1943
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
It is another hot night but is comfortable out here on the porch with the fan on. Jimmie had his first haircut Monday so he looks like a regular little boy now. He hollered like everything at first and yelled Daddy, Daddy, but not a tear was coming out. Then they gave him some marbles to play with and he was alright. Today he started walking and really got around and he thinks he is doing something pretty smart. I’m glad he is walking because this Saturday he and I are going to Shreveport with Sarah and Tug and spend the week with her folks.
Sarah’s mother is coming after us Saturday morning and will bring us back the next Saturday. Before I mail this tomorrow I will get their address from Sarah and maybe I can get a letter from you while I am there.
Pop, Jimmie knows you now. He loves to have me carry him up to all my pictures and he looks at them all. When I point to you and ask him who that is he says, Pop.
We got our fan from Minneapolis today and really need it. I’ve packed all our blankets away already and we don’t even need the sheet over us. Jimmie is in bed without a stitch on, not even pants.
The chairs on the porch were getting kind of hard so we moved in the house so I will finish this in typing. I had a letter from Florence today and her husband has taken a government job up in Canada. She was very blue because he wouldn’t be there when the baby came and she said when she goes to the hospital she hopes both she and the baby pass out of this world. It must be terrible to get that low down. She said if she goes to Canada too after the baby is born she doesn’t know what they will do about her mother. I really feel sorry for Florence because it seems like nothing has ever gone right for her but I think it is mainly her fault too.
Tomorrow night is the night Coloras are coming over for dinner. I sure hope Jimmie goes to bed nicely because their baby is just perfect about going to bed. I’m not going to put him to bed so early though so maybe if he is good and sleepy he won’t mind so much. Annie is going to stay and clean up afterwards and we are going to play chess.
Well Folks, I want to write to Jim now and tell him I’m going to Shreveport because I probably won’t get to write so much and I want him to know it isn’t because I’ve forgotten about him. I had a letter from Selma today and she said they are still having a lot of winter weather in Minneapolis. Clarence Pope just graduated and is a full-fledged pilot now and he was home on a furlough and so was Alvin so Eden went home for a visit at the same time. I bet Popes got a funny feeling when their two boys came home both in soldier uniforms.
Well goodnight for this time Folks, and I’ll write again before I go to Shreveport and will get a letter or two written while I am there.
With Love, Helen
Will send address tomorrow.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading