Saturday, November 29, 2008

109 7/18/1947 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
3409 Fremont Ave. South, Minneapolis 8, Minnesota
Friday, July 18, 1947
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Your nice letter came this morning and I was glad to hear from you. Don't worry, mother, about your letter writing because I know how busy you are and I don't even get letters written as often as I would like to and I have more time than you. What a shock about Mrs. Lafromboise. I remember her well and of course remember Clarence Lafromboise too. That was an awful tragedy and I bet the people in Enumclaw can't believe it. It really isn't safe to go out in the breakers is it, because that happens fairly often to people.
We finally finished the puzzle. Everyone worked on it and it was awfully pretty. Mrs. Carlson always goes up to bed at nine o'clock but until the puzzle was finished she stayed up until ten. After it was half finished Mary got at it and mussed it up. She was in the dog house for a while but Elmer and I fixed it up just about like it was before his mother saw it and she didn't notice that there were a few blank spaces that weren't there before.
This week has been a terribly hot one but it cooled off last night and today it is really chilly out and certainly feels good. Our bedrooms are on the cool side of the house though so we can sleep at night but Bob can't sleep in his room as it is small and the sun beats in there all afternoon so he has been sleeping out on the porch. He surely is an unhappy boy these days although he is taking it pretty good now since he has made up his mind there is nothing for him to do but get married. He is going to get the license right away and then will have to wait five days before getting married. He told his folks last night but not about the baby. Dolores went to the doctor and she is five weeks along. They went out looking at rooms last night that were advertised in the paper but could find nothing so they don't know where they will live. Bob won't live at her house as she has six sisters and three brothers. They are all married but he doesn't like them. I don't blame him as the ones I have met don't seem to be very much. Anyway Mrs. Carlson said after Bob leaves one of the children could have his room so that will be nice for us as we won't be so crowded and then Mary and Jimmy won't wake each other up in the morning. I don't know though, his room is so hot the kids might not be able to sleep there.
The house is really going up fast and if we can keep getting material and then all the different men like plumbers, electricians, brick layers, plasterers, etc. we will surely be in there in a couple of months. The house is going to be very nice and I am even getting a little interested in it now. We almost packed up and left for Washington the other night. Elmer too as he had a terrible fight with his mother, but I still feel sorry for her because she really isn't responsible for her actions. He says that just because we are building a house doesn't mean we will be here forever as we can always sell it or rent it so it helps to know he feels that way.
It is impossible to be outside after dark as the mosquitoes and gnats are just thick. They are working on some project to get rid of the mosquitoes in Minneapolis and it would be a wonderful thing if they could. The gnats are just as much of a nuisance as they swarm all over you and follow you wherever you go.
I'm glad you got the watch. Does it run o.k.
Wednesday afternoon Mary and I went over to see Warnie's wife, Jan. She said if they don't find another place to rent by September she will take the baby and go back to California as she couldn't stand to move back in with his folks, so I guess it isn't nice for anyone who has to live that way. If we can get the material we will fix our upstairs bedroom now too. I would love to have it. Also the back of the house is made so that a big porch can easily be put on. We won't do that right away because screening is terribly high but it would be nice to have sometime. I am going to start buying drapery material and make my own drapes for the living room and dining room. The children's room will look nice with the twin maple beds and I want to get pretty spreads, just alike, for them. I have to start from scratch to furnish the house so it will be a long time before I get everything I need. The carpenters get almost fifteen dollars a day. I think I told you Florence's husband finished the job he was on so is working on the house too so we have three carpenters and every night when I go out there to see how the house is coming I am surprised to see how much they have accomplished. Elmer got up this morning at five o'clock this morning and went out to play golf and then went over to the house to work.
I feel sorry for Jim and Ruth. It is too bad Ruth isn't different. It is a shame they ever had to get married in the first place. Dolores reminds me a lot of Ruth but I like Ruth better than Dolores. Jimmy and Mary remember you folks and talk about all of you often. Mary mentions often that she is glad big Jim can't see her sucking her thumb. When I ask them if they want to go back out there they both say they do but Jimmy doesn't want to go unless Elmer comes too.
It would be swell if Jim could come back this winter. That is a terrible month to come to Minnesota though. He would have to have warm clothes. Elmer wore long underwear last winter when we came here and it was the first time he had it on for years. We will surely have our house by then and I would love to have him. He could wear some of Elmer's long underwear. Would he drive? Will Ruth and the baby come too. I would surely love to see them all. I'll have Mary's crib for the baby.
Well Folks I had better stop and fix some lunch but hope to write more soon.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading